Redwood City, CA / Remote /
Technology – Engineering /
Design, build, automate, and operate the cloud infrastructure that runs Citrine’s smart data & AI platform for our customers and support & accelerate Citrine’s internal teams such as engineering.
At Citrine, we’re changing the way new materials are developed.
We are the industry leader in materials informatics, the application of data-driven methods to materials and chemicals development. Our platform provides data management and AI tools that help our customers rapidly develop better, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at huge manufacturing and materials companies, and researchers at leading universities and government labs. Our platform enables our users to accelerate the development of new materials.
In 2020 Citrine was recognized for technology innovation by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the most promising AI startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Though our technology was originally built by materials scientists, our team now consists of professionals trained in a diverse set of fields, including data science, physics, biology, and computer science. We have offices in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and our customers include Fortune 1000 materials and product companies.
About the Role
Working at Citrine offers the rare opportunity to collaborate with applied scientists at the leading edge of statistical learning theory and application. Here are a few representative peer-reviewed publications describing research done at Citrine in support of the platform’s AI capabilities:
Assessing the Frontier: Active Learning, Model Accuracy, and Multi-objective Materials Discovery and Optimization (2019). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.03224
Can machine learning identify the next high-temperature superconductor? Examining extrapolation performance for materials discovery (2018). at https://doi.org/10.1039/C8ME00012C
Overcoming data scarcity with transfer learning. (2017). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05099
High-Dimensional Materials and Process Optimization Using Data-Driven Experimental Design with Well-Calibrated Uncertainty Estimates. (2017). at https://doi.org/10.1007/s40192-017-0098-z
Projects you’ll work on
- The next-generation interface for empowering scientists with Citrine’s AI, guiding experimental design to accelerate discovery and lead to research breakthroughs.
- A system for sharing and managing materials data across an enterprise’s researchers, with the goal of fostering collaboration between scientists, reducing experimental waste, and aiding in the management of R&D projects.
- Complex analysis & visualizations that allow our users to gain deeper insights into their data.
What you’ll do
- Build infrastructure to facilitate service delivery, ensure strict data security and confidentiality, and aid the delivery and operation of high-performance web services.
- Develop tools that help developers deploy and support platform services in production.
- Review code from your peers.
- Help developers test & analyze the impact and performance of the platform.
- Scala, Python
- PostgreSQL, Redis, AWS DynamoDB
- AWS Compute Services (EC2, ECS, Fargate, Batch, Lambda)
Skills and Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience writing production software in a team environment
- 2+ years of experience as a site reliability engineer or infrastructure engineer supporting production services in AWS
- 1 year of remote engineering experience, if remote
- Excellent Linux fundamentals
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field of study, or equivalent industry experience
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Production experience in building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines.
- Production experience building infrastructure as code and automating infrastructure provisioning steps using tools such as Terraform & CloudFormation
- Familiarity with Docker and container clustering technologies like AWS ECS or Kubernetes
- Experience with monitoring and alerting systems, both open source and commercial
- Strong understanding of networking and security
Citrine Informatics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Benefits (for exempt, full time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4% of salary
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Equity options within the company
Flexible PTO on top of our 14 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$250 tech allowance
$5,000 annual professional growth budget