Redwood City, CA / Remote /
Technology – Data /
As a Data Scientist, you’ll work directly with our customers to solve challenging problems at the intersection of materials science and machine learning.
At Citrine, we’re changing the way new materials are developed.
We are the industry leader in materials informatics, the application of data-driven methods to materials and chemicals development. Our platform provides data management and AI tools that help our customers rapidly develop better, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at huge manufacturing and materials companies, and researchers at leading universities and government labs. Our platform enables our users to accelerate the development of new materials.
In 2020 Citrine was recognized for technology innovation by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the most promising AI startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Though our technology was originally built by materials scientists, our team now consists of professionals trained in a diverse set of fields, including data science, physics, biology, and computer science. We have offices in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and our customers include Fortune 1000 materials and product companies.
About the Role
Citrine is building the future of data and AI in the materials industry; as a member of the Data Science team, you will play a core role in developing that future and implementing it with our customers. As a Data Scientist, you’ll work directly with our customers to solve challenging problems at the intersection of materials science and machine learning. We provide outstanding data science training and support to our customers to help them understand how to use Citrine tools and how to integrate machine learning into their workflows. We are involved in the data science pipeline end-to-end: scoping out deliverables with the customer, prototyping solutions in code, working with Citrine’s product and engineering teams to develop platform solutions, and working with the customer to put the solution into practice.
- Applying Citrine's machine learning framework to solve problems in materials science, chemistry, and manufacturing.
- Frequent and empathetic communication with customers to provide unparalleled, domain-aware data science support.
- Providing technical training to empower customers to use the platform effectively and integrate data-driven decision-making into their workflows.
- Partnering with Citrine's machine learning team to prototype and build algorithmic capabilities to meet customer needs and push the envelope on how machine learning can provide value to materials scientists and engineers.
- Engaging with Citrine’s product and engineering teams, bringing a unique perspective from direct customer interactions and deep technical expertise to inform the development of platform solutions to meet market needs.
- Engaging with the academic community by writing papers, giving seminars, and leading workshops to grow the Citrine user community.
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in materials science, chemistry, physics, or a related field
- Enthusiasm for working with customers in the materials industry to drive adoption of the Citrine Platform
- Enthusiasm for working with cross-functional teams to develop technical and non-technical solutions to customer challenges
- Strong programming skills (Python preferred)
- Experience or coursework in machine learning and/or statistics
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously to scope out new projects, prioritize, manage time effectively, and execute to aggressive deadlines
- Enthusiasm to own projects end-to-end: from data clean-up to model refinement to delivery to the customer
- Exceptional communication skills
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Experience applying machine learning to real use cases
- Experience in a customer facing role
- Teaching experience
- Experience in the materials and chemicals industry
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Benefits (for exempt, full time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4% of salary
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Equity options within the company
Flexible PTO on top of our 14 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$250 tech allowance
$5,000 annual professional growth budget