Data Analysis Engineer
Redwood City, CA / Remote /
Technology – Data /
The Data Analysis Engineer will lead efforts to build software tools to bring customer data onto the Citrine platform, validate its accuracy, and analyze its content.
At Citrine, we’re changing the way new materials are developed.
We are the industry leader in materials informatics, the application of data-driven methods to materials and chemicals development. Our platform provides data management and AI tools that help our customers rapidly develop better, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at huge manufacturing and materials companies, and researchers at leading universities and government labs. Our platform enables our users to accelerate the development of new materials.
In 2020 Citrine was recognized for technology innovation by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the most promising AI startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Though our technology was originally built by materials scientists, our team now consists of professionals trained in a diverse set of fields, including data science, physics, biology, and computer science. We have offices in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and our customers include Fortune 1000 materials and product companies.
About the Role
Data are the lifeblood of both Citrine and our customers. To our customers, their data not only represent the distilled knowledge of decades worth of research, but also the foundation from which they can build artificial intelligence models of materials behavior using the Citrine platform. Materials data come in many forms, and customer data are often messy and heterogeneous. In order for customers to realize the full value of their data, it must first be brought onto a common platform, cleaned, and validated. The Data Analysis Engineer will have the technical responsibility of writing code to facilitate the structuring, organization, and curation of our customers’ materials data onto the Citrine platform. Furthermore, they will build and maintain tools to analyze the data files to determine their type, structure, and content, which can be used to help customers understand the tradeoffs between data quality and value.
- Engage directly with customers to understand the state of their historical scientific data and their scientific data systems
- Guide and teach customers on how their data should be integrated into the Citrine platform to maximize its scientific and business value without incurring unnecessary ingestion effort
- Build software tools to improve, validate, and monitor the data pipeline
- Prototype data tooling for Citrine's materials science data platform
- Select, structure, verify, and process large sets of materials data from a variety of sources and formats for inclusion in Citrine's materials science data platform
Skills and Qualifications
- B.S. degree in the physical sciences (e.g. chemistry, materials science, physics)
- Strong programming in python (not just scripting)
- Database querying (SQL, Access, etc.)
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Strong Python code development experience, including contributions to open source or collaborative repositories
- Experience building, scheduling, scaling and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Experience with pipeline automation and integration tools (Airflow, Luigi, Tibco etc.).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Benefits (for exempt, full time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Equity options within the company
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$250 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
Pre-tax commuter benefits
$5,000 annual professional development/growth allowance