Business Development Representative
Remote / USA /
Sales – Sales /
The Business Development Representative is an essential contributor to the performance of our sales function and supports one or several Business Development or Account Managers.
At Citrine, we’re ushering in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We are the industry leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our platform provides data management and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools that help our customers rapidly develop higher-performing, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at market-leading manufacturing and materials companies and we collaborate with professors and researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
In 2021 and 2020, Citrine was recognized for our impact on sustainability by the Global CleanTech Group. We earned a spot on both the CB Insights AI 100 List and the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the US. In 2021, we also gained our third patent for materials-specific ML technology. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Our Platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to cutting-edge, domain-specific AI, all without writing a line of code. This enables our customers to discover and deploy the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches. We have employees across the country including the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham areas, and our customers include multiple Fortune 100 materials, product, and manufacturing companies.
About the Role
We are currently seeking a Business Development Representative (BDR) to help grow our Sales team and our business. The BDR is an essential contributor to the performance of our sales function and supports one or several Business Development or Account Managers. Meetings and calls with prospective clients are the primary catalysts for new contracts, and the BDR has a key role in scheduling these. As well as providing logistical/administrative support, the BDR adds immense value to the sales cycle by diagnosing the needs and pain points of prospective clients. In turn, the BDR feeds these back into the sales cycle so we engage in the most appropriate and impactful manner. BDRs work in a close-knit team with their Business Development Managers, Sales Engineers, and Account Managers. You’ll be part of a fast-growing team at the world’s leading company that is focusing our efforts at the junction of materials science, chemistry, and technology. This role will be exempt.
- Outbound cold-calling responsibilities to schedule live or phone-based business meetings on behalf of a Business Development Manager or Account Manager
- Seek to engage with secondary points of contact in client organizations to help drive consensus-based decision making
- Understand persona nuances and how to adjust talking points based on persona needs/focus
- Support the sales process by managing the administrative elements
- Create preparation packets for the Business Development Manager or Account Manager traveling to meet and speak to prospective clients
- Review and update client information in CRM to ensure that it is up-to-date and accurate
- Sales territory management and prioritizationOutbound marketing to engage prospective clients, e.g. email campaigns, social selling, etc.
- Learn about what KPIs drive our business with specific emphasis on leading and lagging indicators for top-of-funnel to ensure activities (emails/calls, etc.) match required quality/quantity metrics
- Participate in professional development activities to build your sales skills and business acumen
- Willingness and excitement to learn our technologies and their impact on business needs in the industry, and to communicate them eloquently
- A competitive drive; you want to be the best and you let your numbers do the talking
- Solve complex problems and successfully manage ambiguity and unexpected change
- Embrace best practices and provide/receive feedback as a means of continuous improvement
Skills and Experience
- 0-3 years of customer-facing experience in sales or customer success roles for a technology platform, consulting or information services company
- Experience with Salesforce
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to engage clients at all levels
- Passion for helping business professionals solve problems
- Ability and excitement to thrive in a highly-entrepreneurial, dynamic, and demanding environment
- Curiosity and interest in AI and its impact on the future of civilization
- A desire to be an early employee in a fast-growing startup with huge potential
- Bachelor’s degree; Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Fiber & Polymer Science, Physics, and other hard sciences degrees preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the interview process.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align to our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$60,000 USD - $80,000 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
**Colorado only: disclosure above meets the requirement by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Life and Disability insurance
FSA and HSA plans
Equity options within the company
12 weeks of paid parental leave
Flexible PTO on top of our 17 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
$5,000 annual continuing educational allowance