Senior Software Engineer
Technology – Tech
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis Analytics is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team!
Civis Analytics was born on the campaign trail, with CEO Dan Wagner and our founding members spearheading the 2012 Obama for America analytics team. Since then, our DC and Chicago teams have been building software and growing rapidly among a steadily developing client base in education, energy, government, healthcare, media, nonprofits, and politics. It’s our mission to empower organizations to find truth and guide actions that will change their world for the better.
Senior Software Engineers at Civis amplify the contributions of their colleagues by leading engineering teams or tackling our hardest, riskiest, or most complex technical projects. Depending on interest, roles for senior engineers may focus on team leadership or individual contribution; either way we’re looking for judgment, ownership, and autonomy. At Civis, you will be responsible for making good choices about technical questions, and also about what technical projects are worth pursuing. You will play an outsized role in making Civis a great place to build great software products.
What's great about being an engineer at Civis? We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we run our team to reinforce those values.
We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new products in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and quickly ramp up on projects of increasing responsibility. We’re looking for senior engineers to make a big impact in their first few months.
We want to never stop learning. Everyone has a mentor from day one and tracks their personal development alongside their technical deliverables. We staff projects based on what people will learn, not just who knows it best today. Engineers collaborate across departments with our data scientists and analysts who are not only the best and brightest in their fields, but are also eager to teach and learn from you. Finally, valuing continuous learning also means recognizing that our strongest contributors stand out for their capabilities and not their credentials.
We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, and anywhere in between. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
To learn more about our culture, check out Civis Analytics on The Muse!
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- Experience building complex web applications with modern languages and frameworks
- Comfort building on top of relational databases and fluency in querying them with SQL
- Love of problem-solving
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related subject
- Significant experience with several of the following:
- Developing large web applications or web services
- Leading technical teams
- Experience with project management and/or UI/UX design
- Python, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Designing and building APIs
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS applications
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Data visualization for the web (using D3 or similar)
- React or AngularJS
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R, STATA)
- Political technology and data