Lead Data Engineer
Civis Analytics is a rapidly growing Chicago-based company building SaaS data science products to help organizations use data to drive and optimize their organizational decisions. We are proud to work on some of the world’s most meaningful data science challenges. If you are excited by data, excel at strategic thinking, and want to lead the team responsible for building and maintaining the data backbone of Civis Analytics, we’d love to talk to you.
The Lead Data Engineer, reporting to Director of Engineering provides technical, strategic and operational leadership to the organization. This is an experienced leader with a passion for building compelling customer experiences and a proven ability to grow and lead a team of talented engineers and data scientists through research, design, development, testing and launch of high-quality data-driven products.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for design, implementation and production support for data-driven products. You will execute with excellence, driving the team responsible for the realization of the product vision. You will help Civis Analytics build great products, with a particular focus on the data pipelines that support them.
We are looking for individuals from a wide range of backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Technical leadership -- lead an engineering team responsible for:
- Building integration pipelines between Civis platform and outside systems
- Building Civis' internal data pipelines for various sources, including but not limited to: survey data, consumer data, public data, and client data
- Building and maintaining the core datasets for consulting, R&D, and deployed applications
- Ensuring privacy, compliance and security protocols for Civis data
- You’ll do this by:
- Leading architectural and technical decisions on a team of engineers
- Managing work on core datasets and and data pipelines and ensuring they integrated and implemented into the rest of the technical organization and product
- Leading agile technical delivery of data pipelines and core data assets
- Manage and support hiring and career growth for the team
- Onboard and train team members
- Maintain a technical culture that favors people over process, strong ownership and high transparency
- BS in computer science, science, engineering or related field. MS or PhD is preferred
- 5+ years in data engineering, data-centric software development or a related field
- 2+ years of experience leading a technical team
- Experience in Agile project/product delivery
- Experience managing high value data assets
- Experience working on software products and data pipelines
- Experience or demonstrated interest in working with data scientists and machine learning experts
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey clear priorities and mission to your team
- Strong understanding of architectural requirements and development processes involved in building reliable, robust, scalable data products and pipelines
- Superior organizational and planning skills, written/verbal presentation, and the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Skills and personality to operate effectively in a very fast-paced, complex business
- Strong knowledge of data warehousing and data processing technologies and trends