Senior Engineer - Site Reliability
Have a passion for building high-performance technology and sweating the details? At Civis Analytics, we're building a data science platform, making cutting-edge machine learning and predictive modeling techniques available to a broad audience. Come help us deliver these capabilities at scale with modern, first-class infrastructure.
As a site-reliability engineer, you'll be responsible for enhancing our underlying systems architecture, proactive analysis of our applications, and working with others to make our infrastructure more reliable. If you think you can help us deliver scalable, on-demand analytics computing in the cloud, not just for ourselves but for our whole client base, we want to talk to you.
We are looking for individuals from a wide range of backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
What's great about being an engineer at Civis?
We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we set up our team to reinforce those values.
We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new products in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and from there work on projects chosen to gain more and more responsibility right away.
We want to never stop learning. Everyone has a mentor from day one and tracks their personal development alongside their technical deliverables. We staff projects based on what people will learn, not just who knows it best today. Engineers collaborate across departments with our data scientists and analysts who are not only the best and brightest in their fields, but are also eager to teach and learn from you. Finally, valuing continuous learning also means recognizing that our strongest contributors stand out for their capabilities and not their credentials.
We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer and 2+ years in a site-reliability role
- Interest and ability to master new technologies
- Experience managing and troubleshooting large AWS infrastructures
- Databases proficiency in SQL, administration, programmatic usage, analytics databases, and/or NoSQL
- Comfortable scripting in Python, Ruby, Perl, Bash, or similar
- Significant experience with one or more of the following:
- Scaling and ensuring reliability of large SaaS / PaaS applications
- Error aggregation and anomaly detection
- Establishing SLAs
- Continuous, automated application deployment
- Continuous integration tools like Travis and CircleCI
- Containerized code deployment using Docker
- Security monitoring
- Automation tools (Puppet, Chef, Vagrant, Ansible, etc.)
- Technical leadership, including leading teams