Applications Engineer (multiple roles and levels)
Austin, TX or Remote /
Also open to Full Stack Engineer or API Engineer
Hiring for multiple roles & levels
Civitech builds software that empowers progressive campaigns, candidates, volunteers, nonprofits, and advocacy organizations to win elections and conduct their work more effectively, efficiently, and scalably. Our flagship product - CampaignOS - is a fully-integrated campaign management system that enables campaigns to develop a more complete profile of each of their voters, expand their voting base through voter registration, and manage campaign strategy.
Since our founding in 2019 our technology has expanded voter registration efforts led by political campaigns and advocacy organizations that have registered over 1M voters, and we’ve supported organizations across the progressive political ecosystem.
The Applications Engineer will build APIs that make our platform, and other tools within the political and commercial ecosystem, work better together. Through this job you'll be essential to make CampaignOS more useful and accessible to candidates, campaign staff, and volunteers.
It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the organizations we seek to serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and others otherwise underrepresented in the technology sector to apply.
What You Will Do
- Design, implement, and maintain our web-based products.
- Execute on development tasks ranging from API services to front-end components
- Generate client-side workflows and state management code
- Develop UI components and features
- Develop gateway code
- Define and monitor metrics for our middleware architecture
- Diagnose and resolve deficiencies in systems security, performance, extensibility, and scalability
- Track, evaluate, and contribute to technology advances across academic, open source, and commercial forums
- Collaborate with partner organizations on APIs, tools, and data sets
- Participate in political events that promote, train, and/or directly use our systems
- Are excited to design, build, and maintain application software in a startup environment and have a passion for democracy, civics, and politics
- Have the ability to contribute to front-end solutions and/or application services. At Civitech, our front-end code is built with Angular using NGRX, Angular Material, and XState. Our application code is based on NodeJS server technologies such as NestJS, TypeORM, and Passport. Our gateways are RESTful, GraphQL, and gRPC.
- Can write automated tests (especially using Jest and Cypress)
- Are committed to leveraging data to elect Democrats and empower progressive organizations
Additional Qualifications (Desired but not required)
- Have expertise in application server security practices, including cryptography, authentication, authorization, and data privacy
- Have experience with load testing tools
- Have knowledge of scaling and high-availability techniques
- Have experience with a variety of web tools, like Insomnia, Postman, and Swagger
- Can write clear API documentation
- Have experience with cloud computing environments (Google Cloud preferred, but AWS or Azure okay)
- Have experience with continuous integration tools (GitLab CI preferred, but others okay)
- Have the ability to work with Java and Python development and related tooling
- Are skilled in database administration (PostgreSQL preferred, but Oracle or MySQL okay)
- Have experience with ETL and data pipeline systems, especially AirFlow
- Have experience with data visualization, dashboard, and/or reporting tools (Tableau, Jasper, or others)
- Have experience with geospatial data systems
- Have knowledge of U.S. elections administration and/or campaign operations
Civitech is headquartered in Austin, TX. Austin candidates are preferred, but we are open to remote for the right candidate. All employees are currently working remotely until it is safe to return to our office.
The Applications Engineer is on our Engineering Team, and reports to our Software Architect.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary ($110,000-$135,000 for Austin-based hires), commensurate with experience and location). Benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance; four weeks paid vacation time per year; 10 days paid sick time; and a competitive company stock option plan.
Civitech is not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Civitech provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.