Senior Data Scientist
Civitech builds CampaignOS -- the campaign management system that enables campaigns to develop a more complete profile of each of their voters, expand their voting base through voter registration, and manage campaign strategy all from one unified system.
Since our founding in 2019 we’ve built technology that has enabled voter registration efforts led by political campaigns and advocacy organizations that have registered over 500,000 voters.
We’re hiring a Senior Data Scientist that is eager to use their time and talents in data analysis to support national voter registration, vote by mail, and turnout efforts that will help candidates from City Council to President in the Fall 2020 election and beyond.
It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the organizations we seek to serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and others otherwise underrepresented in the technology sector to apply.
What you will do:
- Develop and manage automated processes that ingest, clean, and standardize large amounts of data from multiple disparate sources to increase the breadth and accuracy of our voter file and voter contact efforts.
- Design and implement Randomized Controlled Trials / cohort studies for various outreach efforts to better understand voter behaviors and the impact of our interventions on voter registration and voter turnout; this research enhances our products and services for our campaign and progressive clients.
- Provide support for client and partner requests and build innovative solutions to address challenges they face, empowering our clients and partners to ultimately win elections up and down the ballot and build a stronger progressive ecosystem.
- Analyze and effectively communicate results from past projects to support client-facing team members and presentations to key stakeholders, informing how future campaigns can run more effective programming and deepening Civitech's knowledge on ecosystem best practices.
- Constantly try to develop better/more efficient methods to support Civitech’s products, users, and voters.
- While your primary role will be as a Senior Data Scientist, you will have opportunities to learn and contribute to projects across the data team, including proposal support, product ideation, and professional development of junior teammates.
- You have a B.Sc., B.A., or M.Sc. in Math, Statistics, Applied Statistics, Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience such as R/Stata enabled research.
- You have 4+ years of industry experience as a data scientist, and have experience applying computer science, statistics, or a related technical discipline.
- You possess excellent SQL skills, and are knowledgeable of different types of database structures.
- You are experienced in working with large datasets across various databases.
- Committed to leveraging data to elect Democrats and empower progressive organizations.
Additional qualifications (desired but not required):
- You have experience working with ETL pipeline tools (Apache Airflow or similar)
- You are proficient in Python and command line operations
- You have experience in processing, analyzing, and modeling with geospatial data
- You have a background in experimental design
- Knowledge of machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) methods
Civitech is headquartered in Austin, TX. Austin candidates are preferred, but we are open to remote for the right candidate. All employees are currently working remotely until it is safe to return to our office.
About our Data Team: The Data Team is focused on building the most robust database of information about voting-eligible adults in the United States in the country. Our datasets cover voter registrations, voter history, statistical scores, contact information, campaign goals, campaign actions, mail tracking, web tracking, advanced address & geocode processes, election-related maps, election results, and more.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary ($105k+ commensurate with location and experience). Benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 10 days accrued paid sick time; and a competitive company option plan.
Civitech is not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Civitech provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.