Data Engineer (multiple roles + levels)
Also open to Security Engineer, Performance Engineer, or Database Admin
Hiring for multiple roles & levels
Civitech works to create a more reflective democracy by developing technology and data products that help Democratic candidates run for office and win, empower progressive causes, and increase civic participation. We aim to make data and technology radically more available in service of strengthening our democracy.
Since our founding in 2019 our technology has empowered voter registration efforts led by political campaigns and advocacy organizations to register over 1M voters, and we’ve supported organizations across the progressive political ecosystem.
The Data Engineer will build data processing infrastructure that supports our analytic and operational needs. Through this job you'll make CampaignOS a performant, reliable, and secure platform for candidates, campaign staff, and volunteers.
It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the organizations we seek to serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and others otherwise underrepresented in the technology sector to apply.
What You Will Do
- Design, implement, and maintain various election-related data sets
- Develop data pipelines
- Define and monitor metrics for our data sets
- Diagnose and resolve deficiencies in data quality and systems performance
- Perform exploratory analysis and provide ad-hoc reports
- Collaborate with partner organizations on APIs, tools, and data sets
- Track, evaluate, and contribute to technology advances across academic, open source, and commercial forums
- Participate in political events that promote, train, and/or directly use our systems
- Contribute to related tasks across the company, including technical architecture, product design, client support, marketing, and cross-training
- Relevant advanced degree, certification, or 4+ years relevant work experience
- Experience with ETL tools (especially Airflow and DBT)
- Basic skills in database administration (PostgreSQL preferred, but Oracle or MySQL okay)
- Experience with cloud computing environments (Google Cloud preferred, but AWS or Azure okay)
- Comfortable with the pace and fluidity of work at a startup company
- Passionate about applying your technical expertise to help get Democrats elected up and down the ballot
Additional areas of expertise (desired but not required)
- Security Engineer
- Practical experience with tools for intrusion detection, user activity monitoring, and data loss prevention
- Solid understanding of attribute-based access control (ABAC), virtual private database, row-level security, and related enforcement approaches
- Familiar with best practices for data privacy (for example, anonymization, masking, tokenization, etc)
- Performance Engineer or Database Administrator
- Advanced skills in database programming (every aspect of SQL, plus PL/pgSQL or PL/SQL or T-SQL)
- Practical experience with database tuning and performance optimization
- Practical experience with a variety of application data workloads (OLTP, OLAP, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of scaling and high-availability techniques for data architectures
- Other desired but not required skills
- Experience with data visualization, dashboard, and/or reporting tools (Tableau, Jasper, or others)
- Familiar with a variety of middleware approaches and tools (ORM, MQ, GraphQL, REST, webhook, etc)
- Knowledge of machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) methods
- Knowledge of U.S. elections administration and/or campaign operations
About our Data Team: The Data Team aims to build the most robust database of information about voting-eligible adults in the United States available anywhere. Our datasets cover voter registrations, voter history, statistical scores, contact information, campaign goals, campaign actions, mail tracking, web tracking, advanced address & geocode processes, election-related maps, election results, and more.
Civitech is headquartered in Austin, TX, but we are open to remote for the right candidate. All employees are currently working remotely until it is safe to return to our office.
Full-time, competitive salary ($105,000-$125,000 for Austin-based hires), commensurate with experience and location. Benefits include a company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance; four weeks paid vacation time per year; 10 days paid sick time; and a competitive company stock option plan.
Civitech is not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Civitech provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
No recruiters or agencies, please!