San Francisco, CA
Clarify is building the brains of the digital healthcare system of the future - developing real-time AI-analytics and care guidance solutions that improve the lives of patients and of those who care for them. The company’s founders include the former Senior Partner and head of McKinsey’s global Healthcare IT and Digital Practice and the former Chief Technology officer of Advent Software.
An early stage company, with KKR leading its B investment round in late 2018, Clarify is based in San Francisco and has an office in New York. The company is focused on three healthcare industry customer segments: Providers (e.g. hospitals), Payers (e.g. health insurers) and Life Sciences (e.g. pharmaceutical companies). Revenues consist of a mix of recurring Software-as-a-Service fees and one-time consulting/implementation fees, with the heaviest emphasis on the former. Clarify, a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Qualified Entity, has over 200 million lives in its database, has amassed one of the largest pools of healthcare data in the United States and provides access to customer-specific analytical insights into that data, with customer pricing varying in accordance with the frequency, sophistication and interactivity of customer access to that analysis.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and performing a key role in building up an in-house Legal function that will scale with Clarify’s development as a high growth company, the General Counsel will build a Legal function that will not only grow with the company but that will ultimately be capable of taking Clarify through the IPO process and into public company status. Initially, the Legal function will consist of the GC and the company’s [Chief] Privacy Officer. The opportunity will be available over time to add incremental in-house resources as the company scales and as the scope arises to reduce reliance on external legal advisers and thus promote overall efficiency. Travel is likely to be minimal, although occasional meetings outside California may take place from time to time.
This position gives the successful candidate the opportunity to build an industry leading Healthtech Legal team. Amongst other responsibilities, the Legal function not only provides day-to-day commercial and corporate governance support for the company but equally importantly also protects the company from any legal and related risks associated with Clarify’s healthcare data aggregation and analytics function.
- Reviewing Clarify’s overall legal needs, including reliance on outside counsel and other external and internal resources
- Building a Legal team to serve the needs of a US-focused business, with scope for subsequent international expansion in the years ahead
- Maintaining appropriate legal and other commercial documentation related to Clarify’s relationships with its customers and vendors that advances the company’s broader strategic and commercial goals while protecting its interests
- Close liaison with other members of the company’s leadership team – most importantly with the Chief Executive Officer and with the President
- Ongoing communication with members of Clarify’s Board of Directors and with major shareholders
- Supervision of the company’s Privacy function, incorporating Clarify’s compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) and Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (“HITECH”)regulations and related guidelines regarding, inter alia, the company’s handling of personally identifiable information and protected health information
- Ensuring that appropriate title is established and maintained over the company’s intellectual property assets
- Working with the company’s People and other functions to ensure compliance with relevant labor and other human resources related laws and regulations
- Enhancing underlying document management and other internal systems and processes in order to ensure scalability, efficiency and minimization of human error
- Instituting and maintaining appropriate corporate governance mechanisms relevant to Clarify as the company matures towards listed public company status
- Staying abreast of broader healthcare sector legal and regulatory developments and being cognizant of their potential impact on the company
- Maintaining his or her own professional and technical knowledge and qualifications
What we are looking for
- The person filling this role will have a can-do, roll-up-the-shirtsleeves approach to building a function that will serve the needs of a rapidly growing business that is developing an innovative suite of products and services within a [regulated] environment.
- Prior experience as a General Counsel or as an Assistant General Counsel
- Experience in building a Legal function, particularly in a rapid growth environment
- Understanding of and exposure to Healthcare and other data privacy regimes
- Prior exposure to Software-as-a-Service and Professional Services environments. Experience in structuring Enterprise-level SaaS agreements
- Ability to articulate and discuss legal, governance and regulatory concepts with non-legal audiences
- Track record of working closely with and being seen as a trusted partner by colleagues across all parts of the business
- History of producing and supervising the production of high quality written work
- Excellent collaborative and problem-solving skills
- Strong presentational skills
- Understanding of operating in a regulated sector, particularly regarding privacy
- Past experience of working in a public company environment preferred
- Background in working in data analytics related companies preferred
- JD or equivalent degree, membership of California Bar preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.