Thanks for taking the time to learn a little more about Clay, a Series A Brooklyn based start-up bringing together some of the most powerful capabilities of spreadsheets, data-enrichment and workflow automations to build the first spreadsheet that fills itself. We're small but mighty, backed by some of the world's best investors, and excited to grow our team in this next phase of our journey.
The product vision.
At Clay, we believe that the mundane can be automated away, that each individual is deeply creative, and that there is immense possibility in expanding this creativity by making programming more accessible. We don’t believe that the world is split between developers and non-developers, but that everyone has the ability to create software and automations to power themselves and their businesses.
At its core, we are building a new type of platform that allows both engineers and non-engineers to easily work with data, assemble individual custom workflows, and flexibly automate core business processes. We often talk of Clay as a fluid computational canvas that lets everyone get more done, with less engineering time required — starting with a spreadsheet.
Software Engineering @ Clay
As an early engineer, you'll be part of a core team that's reimagining computing from the ground up surrounded by an exceptional team of product-minded designers and developers. There will be no shortage of fun conceptual and technical challenges to explore, build and scale.
👋🏿👋🏾👋🏽👋🏼👋🏻At Clay, we hold two things to be true as we grow our team — hiring is more about the person and less about the description; diverse teams build the strongest, most meaningful products. We are committed to building a team that reflects these beliefs, and cannot wait to speak with you.
About the role.
- Design & ship core features. Spec, implement and maintain core features and infrastructure. Given the size of the team, everyone is touching all parts of the stack and has lots of responsibility.
- Collaborate & learn. You'll partner with the rest of our team, communicate openly, give and receive thoughtful feedback, and have a chance to learn from people who excel in their areas of expertise.
- Take ownership. We're focused on building a high-trust, ownership focused environment where everyone aims to define what they think is most important to work on, and drive initiatives forward.
- Demonstrated ability to ship high-quality, well-tested features. You've got a Bachelors or Master's degree in Computer Science, or 4+ years working as a software engineer in production environments.
- Excellent written communication skills & a design-minded consideration of abstractions. A big part of simplifying software development is choosing the right abstractions & communicating them effectively. In this role, you'll be responsible for designing and crafting internal and external systems and APIs that are elegant and intuitive to use.
- Keeping the big picture in mind. We're fans of engineers who think about all aspects of the product, and keep UX and business objectives in mind as they're building.
Nice to haves.
- Diversity of perspectives and interests. We hope to build a team that is curious, and open-minded.
- Experience working with systems & data at scale. May be building large-scale high-performance data pipelines, event ingestion systems, or generally working with larger production systems
- Additional proficiency and/or experience with: Linux, containers & cloud environments such as AWS and Google Cloud; Kafka, Pubsub & SQS style architectures; Go, Rust, C++, or Clojure, as we explore incorporating more robust systems for our backend
Working @ Clay
Based out of a spacious sunlit loft in Williamsburg, we're big on taking care of our team and always excited to hear different ideas that can help us to do this better.
Competitive salary and role trajectory. Roles, responsibilities, and comp grow as we do.
Health insurance. Fully funded, high quality health, dental & vision coverage.
Visa sponsorship. We get it - it's an arduous process, but we're not scared of it.
Flexible schedules and paid time off. We ask team members to take at least 2 weeks fully-disconnected per year, with a flexible vacation policy beyond that.
Mental health. We'll currently building a plan to help you find coaches, mentors & mental-health services.
Annual company retreats. This past year we took our roadmap exploration to Costa Rica.
Personal comfort. Order whatever equipment you think will help you work more enjoyably.
Remote work. Though we prefer people being in-person.
We love thinking a little bigger and considering the role of what we're building within our industry and society. A few (constantly evolving) things we're interested in and thinking about:
History. The history of spreadsheets is long and winding, and the history of programming even more so. We're avid students of history as we believe it often makes for a richer understanding of how and why products are built the ways that they are, and how and why users behave in the ways that they do.
Inclusion. What it should, and could, look like to build a new type of organization in 2020 that is more mindful and inclusive. We're a team from Egypt, Romania, France, the UK, Kenya, Lebanon, Canada — and a couple more places when you dig a little further. We think a lot about the impact that software has on a global scale, but also just how powerful each individual becomes when given the tools to build their own software.
Design and art, broadly. Craftsmanship, appreciation of detail, and enjoyment of the process (alongside the outcomes) are an important part of how we approach building here at Clay. If you like jamming, questioning and refining, we might just be for you.