Founding engineer (Frontend)
San Francisco, CA /
Streaming technologies are changing the data landscape and every application that produces and consumes data. Yet, most machine learning models, whose performance is tightly coupled with data quality and data freshness, are still in the batch paradigm.
Claypot unifies streaming and batch systems to make it easier and cheaper for companies to do online prediction, continuous evaluation, and continual learning. Our solution can be especially helpful for problems in fast changing environments such as recommender systems, e-commerce, fintech, and logistics.
Claypot AI was founded by Zhenzhong Xu and Chip Huyen. We're well-funded and working with cool companies!
For more discussion on the problem we're tackling, see Machine learning is going real-time and The Four Innovation Phases of Netflix’s Trillions Scale Real-time Data Infrastructure.
We're looking for great frontend engineers to be the foundation of our engineering team. We hire remotely anywhere in the world, as long as you can be available 8.30am - 12pm (PT) for synchronous communication. We plan to bring everyone together a few times a year to hang out and eat tasty food when it's safe to travel 🛫
What you'll do
- Architect and develop the web interface of our core platform from the ground up. This interface should be intuitive, fast, and delightful to use!
- Define our frontend
- Collaborate with designers and ML engineers to find the best way to visualize different types of data.
- Collaborate with our infrastructure engineers for seamless integration of our front-end and our back-end.
- [Optional] Conduct user study to understand their experience on our platform and use these insights to improve our interfaces.
- Lay the foundation for and grow a great engineering team.
Areas of expertise we’re looking for
- Ability to own and drive the end-to-end development of a web application, including evaluating tools and estimating the resources required.
- Ability to take complex requirements and build simple interfaces to address them.
- User empathy. The GUI will be our users’ first impression of our product, so the GUI should be developed with the users in mind.
- Strong communication skills. Because our team consists of engineers from multiple areas of expertise, we need everyone to communicate with each other, not shy away from writing design docs, identifying blockers, and requesting help and resources.
You’ll stand out if you
- Have a strong track record in the development of a data-intensive application.
- Have worked with real-time data, e.g. creating visualizations and dashboards to display real-time data.
- Can show us a portfolio of web interfaces that you’ve worked on before.
- Are familiar with ML workflows. It’s okay if not, we’ll help you catch up!
What makes Claypot AI special?
- A culture of transparency, collaboration, ownership, and learning
- A very high bar for engineering craftsmanship
- Expertise in both distributed systems and machine learning
- A strong community
- An opportunity to win over a large, growing, yet untapped market for fast ML delivery
What will you get?
- Competitive compensation package
- Flexible remote-first culture with options for in-person collaboration
- Learn how to build a startup from the ground up
- Public speaking opportunities
- An environment for you to grow into the career you want
The job descriptions below are to give a sense of the challenges we're working on. As the company grows, you can define the role that you want with us. We believe in creating an environment for people to grow into their full potential and create the most impact for the team, not squeezing people to fit into job descriptions.
If you're interested in joining us but don't find a job description that fits you, reach out still!