Founding Engineer (Full-stack)
San Francisco, CA /
Streaming technologies are changing the data landscape and every application that produces and consumes data. Yet, most machine learning models, whose performance is tightly coupled with data quality and data freshness, are still in the batch paradigm.
Claypot unifies streaming and batch systems to make it easier and cheaper for companies to do online prediction, continuous evaluation, and continual learning. Our solution can be especially helpful for problems in fast changing environments such as recommender systems, e-commerce, fintech, and logistics.
Claypot AI was founded by Zhenzhong Xu and Chip Huyen. We're well-funded and working with cool companies!
For more discussion on the problem we're tackling, see Machine learning is going real-time and The Four Innovation Phases of Netflix’s Trillions Scale Real-time Data Infrastructure.
We're looking for great machine learning engineers and data scientists to be the foundation of our engineering team. We hire remotely anywhere in the world, as long as you can be available 8.30am - 12pm (PT) for synchronous communication. We plan to bring everyone together a few times a year to hang out and eat tasty food when it's safe to travel 🛫
What you'll do:
- Design and develop our core services that machine learning engineers and data scientists will use.
- Collaborate with our designer and frontend engineers to develop our web interface.
- Collaborate with our infrastructure engineers to ensure that all the services run seamlessly.
- Lead our open-source strategy.
- [Optional] Engage with customers to understand their pain points and turn these insights into actionable items.
- Grow a great engineering team.
We're building a platform to help data science teams deploy, manage, evaluate, and update ML models in real-time. We're looking for generalist engineers who care about:
- Microservice development, testing, and integration.
- Operation automation and DevOps best practices.
- Product mindset. What you build is customer-facing, so empathy with customers' pain points will be very helpful!
- Strong communication skills. Because our team consists of engineers from multiple areas of expertise, we need everyone to communicate with each other, not shy away from writing design docs, identifying blockers, and requesting help and resources.
You'll stand out if you're:
- Familiar with ML/data workflows. It's okay if not, we'll help you catch up!
- Familiar with FastAPI, AWS services, containers.
- Interested in providing the best user experience via UI/UX.
What makes Claypot AI special?
- A culture of transparency, collaboration, and ownership
- A very high bar for engineering craftsmanship
- Expertise in both distributed systems and machine learning
- A strong community
- An opportunity to win over a large, growing, yet untapped market for fast ML delivery
What will you get?
- Competitive compensation package
- Flexible remote-first culture with options for in-person collaboration
- Learn how to build a startup from the ground up
- Public speaking opportunities
- An environment for you to grow into the career you want
You should join us if you're:
- A builder
- A learner (we're in a new space so there is a lot for us to learn!)
- Excited about machine learning and streaming technologies
- Open-minded to different ideas, cultures, and backgrounds
- Ready to take ownership and iterate quickly
The job descriptions below are to give a sense of the challenges we're working on. As the company grows, you can define the role that you want with us. We believe in creating an environment for people to grow into their full potential and create the most impact for the team, not squeezing people to fit into job descriptions.
If you're interested in joining us but don't find a job description that fits you, reach out still!