Founding Engineer (Infra)
San Francisco, CA /
Streaming technologies are changing the data landscape and every application that produces and consumes data. Yet, most machine learning models, whose performance is tightly coupled with data quality and data freshness, are still in the batch paradigm.
Claypot unifies streaming and batch systems to make it easier and cheaper for companies to do online prediction, continuous evaluation, and continual learning. Our solution can be especially helpful for problems in fast changing environments such as recommender systems, e-commerce, fintech, and logistics.
Claypot AI was founded by Zhenzhong Xu and Chip Huyen. We're well-funded and working with cool companies!
For more discussion on the problem we're tackling, see Machine learning is going real-time and The Four Innovation Phases of Netflix’s Trillions Scale Real-time Data Infrastructure.
We're looking for great machine learning engineers and data scientists to be the foundation of our engineering team. We hire remotely anywhere in the world, as long as you can be available 8.30am - 12pm (PT) for synchronous communication. We plan to bring everyone together a few times a year to hang out and eat tasty food when it's safe to travel 🛫
What you'll do:
- Design and build the core infrastructure powering our services, which includes container infrastructure, storage, processing, control plane orchestration, and other core data platform capabilities.
- Integrate our product with cloud services.
- Evaluate tools and services to integrate our backend with.
- Ensure that our platform is scalable, available, and resilient.
- Grow a great engineering team.
We're building a cloud-native platform at internet scale. We're looking for engineers who are experienced with:
- Large scale distributed systems
- Platform operations & devops
- Cloud native architectures
You'll stand out if you're:
- Familiar with ML/data workflows. It's okay if not, we'll help you catch up!
- Familiar with streaming technologies such as Kafka, Flink or alternatives.
- Comfortable with both Python and a more infra-oriented language such as JVM or Go
- Familiar with the challenges around online, offline, and nearline storage/processing technologies.
- Product-oriented. Our platform focuses on providing the best experience, so empathy with customers' pain points is a huge plus!
What will you get?
- Competitive compensation package
- Flexible remote-first culture with options for in-person collaboration
- Learn how to build a startup from the ground up
- Public speaking opportunities
- An environment for you to grow into the career you want
What makes Claypot AI special?
- A culture of transparency, collaboration, and ownership
- A very high bar for engineering craftsmanship
- Expertise in both distributed systems and machine learning
- A strong community
- An opportunity to win over a large, growing, yet untapped market for fast ML delivery
You should join us if you're:
- A learner (we're in a new space so there is a lot for us to learn!)
- Excited about machine learning and streaming technologies
- Open-minded to different ideas, cultures, and backgrounds
- Ready to take ownership and iterate quickly
The job descriptions below are to give a sense of the challenges we're working on. As the company grows, you can define the role that you want with us. We believe in creating an environment for people to grow into their full potential and create the most impact for the team, not squeezing people to fit into job descriptions.
If you're interested in joining us but don't find a job description that fits you, reach out still!