Software Engineering Co-op
Co-op or Internship
Clearbanc co-founders Michele Romanow and Andrew D’Souza knew there had to be a better way to fund your business than staking your house or sacrificing ownership of your company.
Michele and Andrew deeply understand the pains of building a business; Michele bootstrapped five companies, one which was acquired by Groupon, and sits on the other side of the table as a judge on “Dragon’s Den,” Canada’s equivalent of “Shark Tank.” Andrew, meanwhile, has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for multiple startups and is an investor and advisor to many others.
They've seen the broken funding process from all sides, and the idea for Clearbanc was inspired by their own experiences and struggles building companies and working with other entrepreneurs.
Clearbanc has invested in thousands of companies using data science to identify high-growth funding opportunities. This data-driven approach takes the bias out of decision making. Clearbanc has funded 8x more female founders than traditional VCs, and has invested in 43 states in the US in 2019.
WHY WORK WITH US?
We're a company built by founders for founders, and we’re laser focused on our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed. You'll get the chance to work closely with people who have built, scaled and sold companies before.
While we're obsessed with our vision, we don't take ourselves too seriously. We don’t know all the answers, so we’re constantly experimenting and learning together.
Clearbanc is going through an exciting growth phase. We’ve just closed a $300M round and we're looking for the right people to join #TeamClearbanc. This is a unique opportunity for an ambitious person looking to make an impact while getting exposure to fintech and learning what it takes to build a successful startup.
WHAT YOU WILL BE WORKING ON
- Partnership integrations
- Sign-up flow
- Credit models
- Internal tools for sales and operations
- Systems for sending and receiving payments
- Accounting systems
- Data-visualization and business intelligence products, both internal and customer-facing
- Systems for onboarding customers
- Integrations with third-party data sources
- You'll have the opportunity to create new business solutions for our entrepreneurs
- You will work on highly visible technical features, help others on the team with complex problems, and work closely with product team and designer
- All members of the team interpolate as needed between the tasks of product definition, design and development, QA and deployment.
- We work in an agile environment with weekly sprint plans.
- Our software is delivered over the web and depends on interacting with a great variety of web services.
WHAT WE WORK WITH
- Google Cloud Platform Node.js & Koa
- Postgres (and therefore SQL)
- Experience with our particular tool-belt is not necessary but the ability to adapt to it quickly is.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You are interested in Clearbanc's core domain - finance, technology, and entrepreneurship.
- You believe that software is a team sport and are disciplined in their practice.
- Significantly, this includes a commitment to communication through pairing, documentation, testing, and demoing.
- Motivation, hunger to learn and lots of initiative.
- You're not afraid to take on new challenges head-on
- You need to be able to think outside the box and think creatively on how to improve our systems and processes.
- We don't have all the answers so you need to be comfortable seeking the answers out yourself (with guidance of course!)
- Ability to work effectively with product and operation teams to help with current products and the rollout of new products
- You must be aware of RESTful principles
- Speed - we have a 'getting things done is better than perfect' attitude with a bias towards action
- Transparency - we're open to feedback, resilient to failures and always looking to improve
- Independence - we are a team of problem solvers and fast learners who can identify problems, come up with ideas and execute solutions themselves.
- Convenient Downtown Toronto location
- Monthly Clearbanc Social Club
- Lunch and Learns
- Friday drinks and demos
- Free daily team lunch from the best Toronto restaurants
- Free snacks and drinks
- Work with a kick-ass team with unparalleled leadership (Michele Romanow - Dragons' Den, Andrew D'Souza - Angel Investor)
- Lots of responsibility and opportunity to see your impact on the company
Please note we are seeking co-ops who can start for the Jan 2020 term.
Check out our Instagram to see what life is like at #TeamClearbanc
Submit your resume, cover letter, and a short video telling us about yourself, why you’d be great and why you want the role. Resumes sent without a video will not be considered.
_ _ _ _ _
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected class.