Full-Stack Software Engineer
Clearbanc co-founders Michele Romanow and Andrew D’Souza knew there had to be a better way to fund your business than staking your house or sacrificing ownership of your company.
Michele and Andrew deeply understand the pains of building a business; Michele bootstrapped five companies, one which was acquired by Groupon, and sits on the other side of the table as a judge on “Dragon’s Den,” Canada’s equivalent of “Shark Tank.” Andrew, meanwhile, has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for multiple startups and is an investor and advisor to many others.
They've seen the broken funding process from all sides, and the idea for Clearbanc was inspired by their own experiences and struggles building companies and working with other entrepreneurs.
Clearbanc has invested in thousands of companies using data science to identify high-growth funding opportunities. This data-driven approach takes the bias out of decision making. Clearbanc has funded 8x more female founders than traditional VCs, and has invested in 43 states in the US in 2019.
WHY WORK WITH US?
We're a company built by founders for founders, and we’re laser focused on our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed. You'll get the chance to work closely with people who have built, scaled and sold companies before.
While we're obsessed with our vision, we don't take ourselves too seriously. We don’t know all the answers, so we’re constantly experimenting and learning together.
Clearbanc is going through an exciting growth phase. We’ve just closed a $300M round and we're looking for the right people to join #TeamClearbanc. This is a unique opportunity for an ambitious person looking to make an impact while getting exposure to fintech and learning what it takes to build a successful startup.
WHAT YOU WILL BE WORKING ON
- Clearbanc builds, ships and maintains many products. Among them are:
- Partnership integrations
- Sign-up flow
- Credit models
- Internal tools for sales and operations
- Systems for sending and receiving payments
- Accounting systems
- Data-visualization and business intelligence products, both internal and customer-facing
- Systems for onboarding customers
- Integrations with a great many data sources
- You’ll have the opportunity to create new business solutions for our entrepreneurs
- You will take the lead on highly visible technical features, help others on the team with complex problems, and work closely with product team and designer
- All members of the team interpolate as needed between the tasks of product definition, design and development, QA and deployment. We work in an agile environment with weekly sprint plans.
- Our software is delivered over the web and depends on interacting with a great variety of web services.
- The list of technologies we use is long, with the significant ones being:
- Google Cloud Platform
- Postgres (and therefore SQL)
- Experience with our particular tool-belt is not necessary but the ability to adapt to it quickly is.
WHO YOU ARE
- Ideally 5 years of experience with designing and developing software to answer business needs
- You believe that software is a team sport and are disciplined in their practice.
- You’ll be working in a highly productive, collaborative, and innovative environment where your voice is heard. This includes a commitment to communication through pairing, documentation, testing, and demoing.
- You are comfortable with the ambiguity of an early stage company. This includes being able to transform product sketches into working technology, as well as working in an environment with a very short technical backlog.
- You’re able to handle the varied responsibilities of being a member of a small team. This means interpolating between a variety of roles, and interfacing with all sides of the business (including sales and customer support).
- Great interpersonal skills and communication skills at all levels. You must be comfortable interacting with other team members and our co-founders
- Interested in Clearbanc’s core domain - finance, technology, ecommerce and entrepreneur market. Experience as an entrepreneur is a big plus
- You don’t let constructive and negative feedback get you down. Our team practices Radical Candor.
- We don’t expect you to have knowledge or experience in finance or ecommerce, but you will need to be a quick learner and be passionate about learning. You’ll help identify new technologies and approaches to problems.
- Successful applicants will demonstrate experience with many, if not all, of:
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science or similar field
- At least 5 years of professional software experience
- The technologies of the web (HTTP, JSON APIs, REST, HTML)
- SQL database programming and performance
- *NIX environments, and Operating system details (including processes, threads and file systems)
- Event driven system design and architecture
- MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Data structures and algorithms
- Enterprise systems and asynchronous architectures
- Dynamic languages like Ruby or Python
- Writing maintainable systems
- Speed - we have a ‘getting things done is better than perfect’ attitude with a bias towards action
- Transparency - we're open to feedback, resilient to failures and always looking to improve
- Independence - we are a team of problem solvers and fast learners who can identify problems, come up with ideas and execute solutions themselves.
- Great healthcare benefits
- Convenient Downtown Toronto location
- Monthly Clearbanc Social Club
- Lunch and Learns
- Friday drinks and demos
- Free daily team lunch from the best Toronto restaurants
- Free snacks and drinks
- Work with a kick-ass team with unparalleled leadership (Michele Romanow - Dragons’ Den, Andrew D’Souza - Angel Investor)
- Lots of responsibility and opportunity to see your impact on the company
Check out our Instagram to see what life is like at #TeamClearbanc
Submit your resume, cover letter, and a short video telling us about yourself, why you’d be great and why you want the role. Resumes sent without a video will not be considered.
_ _ _ _ _
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected class.