Data Science Co-op
Co-op or Internship
Clearbanc co-founders Michele Romanow and Andrew D’Souza knew there had to be a better way to fund your business than staking your house or sacrificing ownership of your company.
Michele and Andrew deeply understand the pains of building a business; Michele bootstrapped five companies, one which was acquired by Groupon, and sits on the other side of the table as a judge on “Dragon’s Den,” Canada’s equivalent of “Shark Tank.” Andrew, meanwhile, has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for multiple startups and is an investor and advisor to many others.
They've seen the broken funding process from all sides, and the idea for Clearbanc was inspired by their own experiences and struggles building companies and working with other entrepreneurs.
Clearbanc has invested in thousands of companies using data science to identify high-growth funding opportunities. This data-driven approach takes the bias out of decision making. Clearbanc has funded 8x more female founders than traditional VCs, and has invested in 43 states in the US in 2019.
WHY WORK WITH US?
We're a company built by founders for founders, and we’re laser focused on our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed. You'll get the chance to work closely with people who have built, scaled and sold companies before.
While we're obsessed with our vision, we don't take ourselves too seriously. We don’t know all the answers, so we’re constantly experimenting and learning together.
Clearbanc is going through an exciting growth phase. We’ve just closed a $300M round and we're looking for the right people to join #TeamClearbanc. This is a unique opportunity for an ambitious person looking to make an impact while getting exposure to fintech and learning what it takes to build a successful startup.
The Data Team consists of Engineers and Scientists empowered to pursue Clearbanc's business objectives. We use Statistics and Data Science to provide data-driven solutions across the organization.
Clearbanc espouses three key values: Speed, Transparency, and Independence. Specifically in the context of Data Science, this translates into assisting in conducting reproducible research that improves our business metrics, while being constrained by tight deadlines.
We are open to applicants from all walks of life, as long as you are willing to present a compelling case for the relevance of your core competencies to our business goals.
Fundamentally, we are looking for somebody who is excited about learning new things, and exhibit a healthy amount of skepticism towards, well, just about everything.
While we will be there for you to help you grow, we also expect you to be comfortable working independently.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- We use SQL. While we don't expect you to be a DBA, we expect you to be able to write some SQL code. You can use R/Python if you prefer to.
General Data Science
- You have exposure to reading data, and conducting basic summary analyses. You are expected to be comfortable with Python. In case you have experience with other programming languages, we expect you to be open to learning Python.
Statistics / Machine Learning / Data Modelling
- Familiarity with common regression and classification algorithms would be nice, you are cognizant of overfitting and can iterate fast.
- It would be a plus if you had exposure to things like the concept of statistical significance, or variance in the context of making between-group comparisons.
- You will be expected to use git.
- Speed - we have a 'getting things done is better than perfect' attitude with a bias towards action
- Transparency - we're open to feedback, resilient to failures and always looking to improve
- Independence - we are a team of problem solvers and fast learners who can identify problems, come up with ideas and execute solutions themselves.
- Convenient Downtown Toronto location
- Monthly Clearbanc Social Club
- Lunch and Learns
- Friday drinks and demos
- Free daily team lunch from the best Toronto restaurants
- Free snacks and drinks
- Work with a kick-ass team with unparalleled leadership (Michele Romanow - Dragons' Den, Andrew D'Souza - Angel Investor)
- Lots of responsibility and opportunity to see your impact on the company
Please note we are seeking co-ops who can start for the Jan 2020 term.
Check out our Instagram to see what life is like at #TeamClearbanc
Submit your resume, cover letter, and a short video telling us about yourself, why you’d be great and why you want the role. Resumes sent without a video will not be considered.
_ _ _ _ _
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected class.