🧑💻 Senior Software Engineer
Help fix the legal industry!
The way legal paperwork gets done is filled with inefficiencies, which leads to ridiculously high legal fees. We fix this by building software that automates and streamlines the process.
We're profitable and growing sustainably. We're the most popular way for high-growth technology startups to form, and are also used by tons of top-tier startups for hiring and fundraising. Our software is more advanced than any other online legal service. We've invested a lot in architecture, maintainability, and testing, giving us a significant advantage as we build out functionality that founders and attorneys can currently only dream of.
We're a quiet leader in the legal technology space — if you are interested in changing the legal industry, this is arguably the best place to be.
Notes on our stack and process:
- Our backend is mostly in Ruby on Rails, with very small amounts of Scala and Go as well.
- Our front-end is mostly in Ember.
- We use CI extensively for linting, tests, visual diffs, and deployment.
- We're not religious about any particular technology — we believe in using the right tool for a given problem.
This is a great fit if you want to work:
- ... on a complex product, with a ton of engineering challenges
- ... in a company that strongly values good software development practices
- ... at a product-driven company bringing an archaic industry into the future
- ... on a beloved product with a lot of usage and visibility in the startup community
- ... with bright people who are extremely passionate about their work
- ... where you'll be a key early software engineer
- ... at a financially sound company that is not dependent on venture capital financing
You must have:
- An inability to write anything but clean, maintainable code.
- A strong aversion to code without test coverage.
- Deep experience with building, maintaining, and optimizing large-scale, production Ruby on Rails applications
- Significant experience building software as part of a team with strong development practices
- Excellent written English communication skills
Experience with Ember is a bonus, but not mandatory.
We've been remote-first since 2013. If you're in the SF Bay Area and want to work in an office when the pandemic is over, we could probably arrange that.
We are happy to support an H-1B visa application after 2 years of employment, if desired. We are only looking directly for full-time employees - we are absolutely not interested in agencies, contractors, or recruiters.
Compensation is at the high end or top of market for a Series A / B startup, with full health insurance coverage and other standard benefits.