Climate Power - Managing Director, Development
Washington, DC /
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a Managing Director, Development to work with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to help guide and implement the development plan for the organization. The Managing Director, Development will work closely with the Executive Director to create, lead and direct all development, donor events, and fundraising efforts on behalf of Climate Power. They will develop and implement fundraising plans to ensure the organization meets its goals. This position reports directly to the Chief of Staff and will work with organization leadership to support the mission of elevating climate and clean energy solutions into the political conversation, as well as identifying opportunities to shift the national political narrative. This position will need to work independently and deliver high-quality writing, fundraising, and research support.
- Serve as a principal driver of fundraising and development success for Climate Power.
- Work closely with the Executive Team and Senior Leadership Team on all development, messaging, marketing, events, branding, and positioning efforts for the organization.
- Manage the Development Manager and additional administrative staff. Coordinate with consultants on all fundraising efforts.
- Oversee the development of all donor materials including proposals and grant reports, including writing and editing strategic proposals.
- Establish fundraising and revenue projections for the organization—and drive success against those benchmarks continuously.
- Develop and implement stewardship programs and build major donor relationships with key supporters.
- Develop both short and long term strategies for increasing reach and visibility of Climate Power.
- Liaison with the Executive Team to provide cross functional planning and knowledge exchange.
- Provide thought leadership for increased growth, opportunities for innovation, and efforts to increase diversity among donors and diversification of gifts.
- Represent Climate Power at speaking engagements, fundraising events, and in donor communications.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 10 years of relevant prior work experience in direct fundraising and development in non-profit or political organizations.
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience; expertise in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects, including experience working with senior-level executives and Board Members.
- Proven track record of raising over $10M annually.
- Must be a strategic thinker and partner with the Senior Leadership Team and able to communicate and action organizational goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Clear understanding of the political landscape, especially as relating to climate justice.
- Excellent judgment in navigating complex issues and making difficult Collaborative leader; Must be able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strong people skills and exceptional team player
- Effective communicator—both written and oral
- Takes initiative, is creative and resourceful.
- Ability to be a proactive self-starter, working independently to move work forward to successful completion;
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
$163,558 - $194,800 a year
Compensation is based on experience.
We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.