Climate Power - Director, Digital Communications
Washington, DC /
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Digital Communications Director to build a smart, targeted digital communications program and win the online narrative on the imperatives of climate action.
- Design and oversee the successful implementation of high-impact strategies to meet Climate Power’s cross-departmental goals across Twitter, website, and other opinion-maker focused properties.
- Work with the digital engagement director to develop cross-platform organic content strategies that maximize Climate Power’s narrative building goals among target audiences, increase engagement, and acquire and activate grassroots activists.
- Hire, lead, champion, and mentor a team of digital strategists by providing professional development and growth, consistent and actionable feedback and communication, and guidance on the production and execution of planned and rapid response content.
- Grow Climate Power’s online audiences and organizational footprint among high-information audiences.
- Work closely with stakeholders across multiple teams with competing needs — especially the paid media and communications teams — to craft innovative narratives around climate success and reach our target audiences online.
- Build a brand partnerships program across social and traditional media outlets in consultation with the digital engagement director.
- Collaborate successfully with the Creative Department to produce design assets and video content that reach platform-specific goals.
- Oversee a data-first approach to audience development and communications.
- See website and cross-platform content projects through from ideation to implementation, under tight deadlines and in fast-changing environments.
- Work closely with our partners in the movement, our state advisory board, and other stakeholders to build meaningful programs and achieve goals.
- Lead on ad hoc web development projects in conjunction with partners, stakeholders, and consultants.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in communications, digital communications, and/or partnership development with a digital-first approach – in a campaign, nonprofit, or issue advocacy setting.
- 3 years of supervisory experience, may include managing projects or teams
- A strong understanding of the digital landscape and how to develop compelling and narrative-building strategies with high-information audiences online
- Experience creating and executing strategy that meets digital priorities as well as needs of multiple fast-moving stakeholders
- An execution-focused approach: You can not only identify problems, but you can build and implement plans to solve them
- Experience managing, mentoring, and developing staff for short- and long-term growth potential
- A high level of literacy on how media and the public build, consume, and digest political narratives
- Experience working across teams to reach mutually important goals
- Experience working with press and communications staff a plus
- Climate issue advocacy or campaign experience a plus.
$113,582 - $135,277 a year
Compensation is based on experience.
Climate Power is a fiscally sponsored project of Resources Legacy Fund (RLF) and Fund for a Better Future (FBF). We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
RLF and FBF are equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.