Climate Power - Deputy Managing Director, States
Washington, DC /
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Deputy Managing Director, States to lead Climate Power’s state work in non Tier-1 states, as well as coordinate with the team on Tier 1 state activity. The Deputy Managing Director will work with the States Managing Director to develop and execute a plan to support the efforts to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities, and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
- Work in partnership with the States Managing Director to drive a positive narrative about policy implementation that keeps clean energy and climate investments popular and defines the benefits for people and their communities, and set and meet metrics for the States team.
- Manage all Climate Power work in non Tier-1 states, including strategic communications, partnerships, and general coalition management work. Run state advisory boards in Tier 2 states.
- Work with States team to adapt materials developed by national communications team and communications consultants to increase local earned media activity and expand reach of clean energy narratives.
- Provide key information on their states for help in developing digital and paid communications that are relevant and persuasive to the local communities. Assist in state polling and other state specific research needs. And provide state specific reports to the executive team and funders on state landscape and resource gaps.
- Support the Managing Director in covering Tier 1 states that are not supported by State Desks.
- Directly manage the States Associate who supports the States department's work.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least 8 years of relevant prior work experience in issue advocacy, political campaigns, or non-profit.
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience; demonstrated success in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Clear understanding of the political landscape, especially as relating to climate justice.
- Excellent judgment in navigating complex issues and making difficult decisions.
- Collaborative leader; Must be able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strong people skills and exceptional team player
- Effective communicator—both written and oral
- Takes initiative, is creative and resourceful.
- Ability to be a proactive self-starter, working independently to move work forward to successful completion;
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
$136,298 - $162,333 a year
Compensation is based on experience.
Climate Power offers a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.