Climate Power - Managing Director, Communications
Washington, DC /
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Managing Director, Communications to lead the organization’s communications strategy to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities and block efforts to dismantle climate progress. The Managing Director, Communications will work with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to set campaign priorities and manage Climate Power’s team of communications staff and consultants.
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Resumes for this position will be reviewed, and interviews will begin in January.
- Drive ambitious communications strategies: Create, manage and execute communications strategies to win the politics of climate nationally and in key states. Oversee frequent and consistent outreach to political and environmental reporters and columnists, and develop and place opinion pieces.
- Integrate communications approach across Climate Power: Work closely across the organization to ensure a strategic communications lens is integrated into all campaigns and efforts
- Manage a team of staff and consultants: Manage Climate Power communications staff, as well as a team of outside state and national consultants, and direct day-to-day operation and strategy.
- Build a nimble press operation: Identify rapid response opportunities and prioritize response to developing news stories with influential climate and political reporters. Manage coordination with paid media team to amplify paid communication in earned media to ensure it reaches the broader public. Manage related press, climate communicators and surrogate outreach.
- Develop and coordinate messaging: Collaborate with Executive Director and senior leadership to develop messaging for use by Climate Power’s Advisory Board, surrogates, partners, and allies across the climate movement.
- Research-driven communications: Coordinate with Climate Power’s research team to integrate key facts, and other research into messaging and communications materials.
- Act as spokesperson: Serve as spokesperson for Climate Power, as needed, and develop other campaign voices for Climate Power.
- Manage, engage and grow Climate Power’s surrogate network: Manage a surrogates operation to engage diverse voices of environmental leaders, state policymakers, youth activists, and trusted voices from the private sector and within communities, for media opportunities and to tell the story of climate action.
- Collaborate with climate movement and other stakeholders: Build relationships with communications leaders of other organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, stakeholders, and other high-level partners, including celebrities.
- Evaluating results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies as necessary.
- 10+ years of communications experience including political and advocacy campaign experience. Climate experience is a plus.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Able to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
Climate Power is a fiscally sponsored project of Resources Legacy Fund (RLF) and Fund for a Better Future (FBF). RLF and FBF are equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Pay for this position is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. The salary range for this position starts at $144,000. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, and generous paid time off.