Climate Power - Managing Director, Digital
Washington, DC / Remote /
Climate Power is seeking a Managing Director, Digital to oversee a team of talented staff and execute the organization's digital strategy in order to mobilize online audiences. We’re looking for a leader with a long record of success in developing the strategy that drives supporter engagement across a wide range of channels and empowering teams to optimize results, apply learnings, and boost performance.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience in translating public moments into strategic plans that promote supporter engagement and drive activism. The right candidate will be someone who can capably supervise staff, set campaign milestones, develop testing plans and priorities, consult on data and technology, and create budget and hiring recommendations.
A nimble and sophisticated communications campaign, Climate Power was founded by the League of Conservation Voters, Sierra Club and the Center for American Progress Action Fund in 2020 to build the political will and public support needed for climate action. Climate Power’s coordination of smart, aggressive communications campaigns has proven itself an indispensable part of the climate movement. Our job is to put climate on offense and neutralize the opposition’s attacks. We do it by defining climate change as not only an existential threat that we must address but a huge opportunity to move beyond fossil fuels and into a clean energy economy that creates jobs and lowers costs. We partner closely with allies to leverage our collective power. We coordinate paid and earned communications to move proven climate messages to policymakers, voters, and the press. We bring proven political campaign tactics to climate advocacy fights.
- Team Leadership: Direct, motivate, and supervise a talented group of digital strategists and organizers, foster successful collaboration with interdepartmental peers across Climate Power, and play a key role in translating Climate Power’s strategic objectives into operational goals and programmatic KPIs.
- Grassroots Supporter Activation: Oversee the development of theories of change, engagement frameworks, and detailed campaign plans to engage hundreds of thousands of supporters on a daily basis, cultivate their relationship with Climate Power over time, and mobilize key cohorts in high-impact moments.
- Metrics: Develop a strategic learning agenda to ensure Climate Power continually gleans new insights to guide ongoing iteration and optimization of your communications. Evaluate the results of Climate Power’s optimization work on a regular basis to judge the results of specific campaigns, track trends through the course of months, and define yearly benchmarks.
- Content Development: Oversee the creation of daily, weekly, and monthly calendars for content creation and distribution in collaboration with key leaders across the organization. Direct the digital team’s development of new content on a daily basis, responding to and shaping the narrative for climate action based on news-of-the-day, messaging priorities, polling, and research.
- Organic Distribution: Manage and oversee the execution of social media, influencer, email, and SMS programs. Conceptualize, shape, edit, and approve content for online distribution including social media content, website content, and grassroots activation appeals; collaborate on conceptualization and creation of video scripts and creative.
- Amplification: Actively work with aligned grassroots organizations, surrogates, influencers, and media outlets to maximize the reach and impact of Climate Power’s content.
- 8-10 years of digital communications experience—including senior advocacy or electoral campaign experience.
- Deep grassroots mobilization experience with a track record of creating messaging that moves activists to add their voice to public debate.
- Keen understanding of how content is disseminated across all digital platforms.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response digital programs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Can supervise a team to meet deadlines successfully and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to collaborate with other teams to integrate organization-wide priorities into digital communication and amplify digital products through other channels.
- Experience integrating strategies across social media, email, SMS, and video in order to run cohesive, impactful digital campaigns.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
The salary range for this position starts at $136,000. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off. The Digital Director reports to the Deputy Executive Director and supervises a team of 6+ staff—including copywriters, organizers, and strategists.
Climate Power and Climate Power Education Fund are fiscally sponsored projects of Fund for a Better Future (FBF and Resources Legacy Fund (RLF). RLF and FBF are an equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination, where all team members feel valued, respected, and included. We know that our work is enriched by the varied voices and perspectives of every staff and board member, so we are committed to making an earnest effort to recruit, welcome, train, develop, and retain talented individuals from diverse backgrounds. We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture expands our creative capacity to do our work and achieve greater outcomes for people and the natural world. Learn more about RLF’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
RLF and FBF require that employees be vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to visiting or working in an RLF or FBF office or conducting any travel or in-person meetings on behalf of our organizations. If you are hired for this position, we will require proof that you are up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.