States Desk - NC + MI
Full Time, Temporary /
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: Who We Are!
About This Role
We are hiring to fill two (2) temporary roles: North Carolina States Desk and Michigan States Desk.
In your application, please specify if you have a preference for either state.
This is a temporary position to support Climate Power’s work through the election cycle. It is expected that this role will end November 30, 2024.
Climate Power has an immediate opening for two States Desks to manage the campaign work in a Tier 1 state for Climate Power - where Climate Power seeks to drive the narrative on how the Inflation Reduction Act and the clean energy boom are benefiting residents.
This position reports to the Deputy Managing Director of States and is a Director level position.
- Oversee all Climate Power activities in-state.
- Coordinate all partners working on Inflation Reduction Act implementation communications, coordinate state communications, manage in-state consultant(s), and ensure national communications resources are deployed effectively with state needs in mind.
- Responsible for reaching our Climate Power goals in that state and proactively working to do what is needed at the state level.
- Serves as the main point for electeds and manages the State Advisory Board.
- Identifies storytellers, manages in-state events on clean energy, and supports partners' events, including admin events.
- Distribute resources with all relevant partners and talkers, including message guidance and polling.
- Works with partners in-state to amplify aligned work and provide resources.
- Helps identify needs for additional resources/activities to report back to funders.
- Travels to states as needed to support in-state events and meet with partners
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
- 7 years of relevant professional experience in press, campaign management, or project management in an electoral, nonprofit, or issue advocacy setting.
- 3 years of people and/or project management experience; demonstrated success in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Collaborative leader: Must be able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Effective communicator—both written and oral.
- Takes initiative and is creative and resourceful.
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- If you do not meet all of the requirements and believe you are a good fit, we encourage you to apply but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
- Ability to build relationships with content creators, media outlets, and influencer networks across interest areas and platforms.
- Familiarity with social media performance metrics and analytics across platforms and an interest in learning more.
- Ability and interest in occasional travel for events or in-person staff gatherings.
- Familiarity with Google Suite, including Docs and Sheets, is strongly preferred.
- If you do not meet all of the requirements and believe you are a good fit, we encourage you to apply but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with our essential and desired qualifications.
Location & Hours of Operations
- Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in Washington, DC. This position can be located anywhere in the United States, but must be able to work Monday - Friday, 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including an experience-based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- 401(k) with 5% match
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
$113,582 - $135,277 a year
Based on experience.
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until the position is filled).
An ideal start date would be before or by March 15, 2024. This is a temporary position and is expected to run through November 30, 2024. Climate Power has retained Job Plugs to manage this hiring process, including related communications.
Our interview process will involve 3 rounds of interviews, ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates who move forward in the hiring process will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and undergo a vetting process, including reference and background checks, to ensure cultural and political alignment.
Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.
If reasonable accommodation is needed in the interview process, please firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for updates in the hiring/interview process should not be sent to this email.