Climate Power - Deputy Managing Director, Communications
Washington, DC /
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Deputy Managing Director, Communications. The Deputy will work with the Managing Director of Communications to lead the organization’s strategic communications work to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Resumes for this position will be reviewed, and interviews will begin in January.
- Drive ambitious communications strategies: Manage, and execute communications strategies to win the politics of climate win the politics of climate nationally and in key states. Conduct frequent and consistent outreach to political and environmental reporters and columnists, and develop and place opinion pieces.
- Team Management: Manage day to day operations of Climate Power’s communications team, including daily priorities, weekly calendar and cross-team collaboration. Supervise team leads in their day to day work and in their long term planning capacities.
- Integrate communications approach across Climate Power: Partner with peers across the organization to ensure a strategic communications lens is integrated into all campaigns and efforts.
- Build a nimble communications operation: Identify rapid response opportunities and prioritize response to developing news stories. Oversee press and surrogate outreach.
- Develop and coordinate messaging: Collaborate with senior staff and campaigns team to develop messaging for use by Climate Power’s Advisory Board, surrogates, partners, and allies across the climate movement.
- Act as spokesperson: Serve as spokesperson for Climate Power, as needed, and develop other campaign voices for Climate Power.
- Engage and grow Climate Power’s surrogate network: Engage diverse voices of environmental leaders, state policymakers, youth activists, and people impacted by climate change for media opportunities and to tell the story of climate action.
- Evaluating results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team; establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjust strategies when necessary.
- 7-10 + years of communications experience including advocacy and political campaign experience. Climate experience is a plus.
- Deep political communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- Management experience.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Able to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic communications and writing skills.
This full time exempt position reports to Climate Power’s Managing Director of Communications.
Climate Power is a fiscally sponsored project of Resources Legacy Fund (RLF) and Fund for a Better Future (FBF). RLF and FBF are equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Pay for this position is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. The salary range for this position starts at $116,000. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, and generous paid time off.