Senior Associate, Political
Full Time, Temporary /
About Climate Power
Climate Power is a strategic communications organization focused on winning the politics of climate. We’re educating Americans about our climate progress, highlighting how clean energy investments benefit local communities, and holding Big Oil accountable for polluting our air and water. We use data-backed messages to pave a path for bold action and shine a light on the price of ignoring the climate crisis would cost our health, economy, and future generations.
It’s our job to tell the story of how climate action and clean energy investment are rebuilding our economy, lowering energy costs, and protecting our planet for future generations. We call out disinformation from bad actors like the Big Oil lobby, and make the climate stakes real for voters. Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: Who We Are!
About This Role
The Senior Associate will support Climate Power’s Political Team in maintaining and building relationships with key partners across the climate and environmental justice movement. They will do this by providing project management, operational, and administrative support to the Political Team in order to meet Climate Power’s three core goals of driving a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, selling the benefits of climate action in key communities, and blocking efforts to dismantle climate progress.
This is a temporary position to support Climate Power’s work through the election cycle. It is expected that this role will end November 30, 2024.
- Support the Political Team on campaign rollouts, including drafting cross-functional management documents and assisting in internal communications for new and ongoing projects.
- Maintain and update the Political Team’s contact management database and other tracking systems as needed. This includes building and maintaining a system for the Political team to track internal and external products and their relevant timelines / deadlines. This also includes tracking of relevant media and partner mentions of our work on a weekly basis.
- Support the Managing of Director of Political in their work with key partners to: coordinate project planning, send noteworthy news and Climate Power-originated content, and gather political intel on emerging issues.
- Plan and run the logistics for large meetings and briefings for external partners, including poll briefings and monthly National Advisory Board meetings. This includes but is not limited to: email reminders, tracking RSVP numbers, drafting presentation materials, and setting up and managing Zoom logistics.
- Support the Policy Advisor in tracking legislative activity, relationships, and sign-on letter requests as needed.
- Schedule calls, meetings, and assist in maintaining the calendar for the Managing Director of Political; Take detailed notes for internal and external partner meetings, including tracking action items.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed and as capacity dictates.
- 3 years of relevant prior work experience in one or more of the following: communications / public affairs, government, campaigns & electoral work, administrative, and / or in nonprofit spaces.
- Excellent writing, organizational management, and operational skills.
- A demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Experience managing incoming and outgoing requests and the workflow of a Director or leader of a team or as a project manager on behalf of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- Experience in climate and / or environmental justice spaces.
- Experience building or maintaining coalitions with external stakeholders / partner organizations.
- Experience working with principal-level leaders.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we absolutely encourage you to apply, but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
Location & Hours of Operations
- Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in Washington, DC. This position can be located anywhere in the United States, but must be able to work Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including experience-based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurances 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- 401(k) with 5% match
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend, for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until the position is filled).
- An ideal start date would be on or before April 1, 2024. This is a temporary position and is expected to run through November 30, 2024.
- Our interview process generally involves 3 rounds of interviews, ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates who move forward in the hiring process will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background checks to ensure cultural and political alignment.
- Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
- Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.
- If reasonable accommodation is needed in the interview process, please firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for updates in the hiring/interview process or other solicitations, should not be sent to this email.
$70,000 - $83,371 a year
Based on experience.