Climate Power - Director of Storytelling
Washington, DC /
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a highly motivated, organized professional with a strong communications and advocacy background to serve as the Director of Storytelling. The Director will work with Climate Power staff and consultants to recruit and engage a diverse bench of storytellers to show, not tell, the benefits of the clean energy economy. Additionally, the Director will train storytellers and businesses to tell specific stories about the clean energy economy, benefits of tax credits, and more, online, in the press, and in paid media. The position will work across the organization to run a program that will produce a steady drumbeat of stories that show people how communities are already benefiting from the clean energy plan.
- Design and oversee the successful implementation of Climate Power’s storytelling program that elevates individuals to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments and sell the benefits of climate action in key communities.
- Provide leadership in creating an integrated story bank operation across multiple teams, including organizing stories and managing a vetting process.
- Work with the states team and business and labor outreach consultants to identify stories that illustrate the benefits of the clean energy economy.
- Work with the communications, digital and paid media teams to elevate the stories across our platforms and with partners.
- Participate in planning and executing substantive campaigns, events, rallies, meetings with legislators, and other efforts utilizing our storytellers.
- Track and analyze the performance of Climate Power’s storytelling program.
- Manage the growth and expansion of Climate Power’s storytelling program.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 7 years of communications and advocacy experience, including experience working on programs that utilize real voices for advocacy.
- 3 years of project management experience.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Collaborative leader; Must be able to work collaboratively across internal teams and with external partners, and work independently
- Strong strategic and people skills as well as an exceptional team player
- Effective communicator—both written and oral
- Interest in climate action is a plus!
- Proficiency in Google Workplace, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Slack.
$113,582 - $135,277 a year
Compensation is based on experience.
Climate Power offers a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.