Climate Power - Communications Assistant
Washington, DC /
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Communications Assistant to help drive the organization’s communication strategy around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities and block efforts to dismantle climate progress. The Communications Assistant is a member of the Communications team and will support daily operations and tasks, especially those relative to rapid response and longer term projects.
A nimble and sophisticated communications campaign, Climate Power was founded by the League of Conservation Voters, Sierra Club and the Center for American Progress Action Fund in 2020 to build the political will and public support needed for climate action. Climate Power’s coordination of smart, aggressive communications campaigns has proven itself an indispensable part of the climate movement. Our job is to put climate on offense and neutralize the opposition’s attacks. We do it by defining climate change as not only an existential threat that we must address but a huge opportunity to move beyond fossil fuels and into a clean energy economy that creates jobs and lowers costs. We partner closely with allies to leverage our collective power. We coordinate paid and earned communications to move proven climate messages to policymakers, voters, and the press. We bring proven political campaign tactics to climate advocacy fights.
- Research and writing: Complete research projects and draft talking points, press releases, pitch materials, op-eds, memos, campaign materials, and more.
- Support media strategies: Work with Climate Power’s communications team to develop, manage, and update a communications calendar, update and complete media lists, track media clips and analyze media coverage.
- Campaign tracking: Track and support Climate Power’s activities to ensure the team is leveraging all available resources for maximum programmatic impact.
- Administrative tasks: Process administrative forms and other tasks as assigned. Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases. Regularly update press lists. Upload communications products to the Climate Power website and monitor incoming requests. Schedule team- and organization-wide meetings.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Able to collaboratively work across departments and with stakeholders.
- Climate issue advocacy, electoral and press/media experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in Google Suite and prior experience with Mailchimp is a plus.
This full time, entry level non-exempt position reports to Climate Power’s Managing Director of Communications. Non-exempt positions are paid hourly, the pay offered for this position totals approximately $52,998 (rate of $28.31 per hour). We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power and Climate Power Education Fund are fiscally sponsored projects of Fund for a Better Future (FBF) and Resources Legacy Fund (RLF). RLF and FBF are equal opportunity employers and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination, where all team members feel valued, respected, and included. We know that our work is enriched by the varied voices and perspectives of every staff and board member, so we are committed to making an earnest effort to recruit, welcome, train, develop, and retain talented individuals from diverse backgrounds. We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture expands our creative capacity to do our work and achieve greater outcomes for people and the natural world. Learn more about RLF’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.