People Operations / Recruiter
North America /
At Close, we're building the sales communication platform of the future. With our roots as the very first sales CRM to include built-in calling, we're leading the industry toward eliminating manual processes and helping companies to close more deals (faster).
Since our founding in 2013, we've grown to become a 100% globally distributed remote-first team of 40 high-performing, happy people that are dedicated to building a product our customers love. Our organization is growing and with each new team member comes additional logistics and responsibilities.
Our current People Operations Team (of 1) is looking for someone to own all human resources and business administration while supporting hiring and recruiting efforts.
You know this space. You’ve worked in a startup environment where the day to day constantly changes as you manage a variety of short term tasks and long term goals.
You have at least 3 years experience with SMB administration, human resources and recruiting. This means you can walk in on day one and manage insurance benefits, workers compensation and recruiting efforts with minimal oversight.
You are a Mac user who is comfortable working remotely as part of a small team with a high level of autonomy and exceptional communication skills for this environment.
You are reliable; people depend on you for stability. You’re the first person friends and family call to help plan and host gatherings and with life-admin related questions (reviewing contracts, obtaining health insurance, doing their taxes). You’re a care-taker, helper and love extending that support and thoughtfulness into your work. People would describe you as “warm, approachable and kind”.
You ♥ administrative tasks. Working behind the scenes feels rewarding. Reading the fine print is your forte - you have an exceptional eye for detail. Your day-to-day sense of accomplishment comes from checking off tasks and supporting a business, while a long-term sense of accomplishment comes from developing more effective processes and providing healthy support to all team members. You know how to anticipate needs, have the confidence to proactively ask for help and have strong follow through with your commitments.
You practice ruthless prioritization and know how to effectively manage your time while collaborating and communicating in an asynchronous working environment. You have a natural balance of linear and creative mindset; someone that is highly organized yet resourceful and imaginative in solutions. You have integrity, are trustworthy, self-aware. You understand the work environment may require last minute needs and that it’s part of your responsibility to respond effectively.
You are based in the US or Canada.
About The Job
40% Recruiting: You will grow in your capacity to help lead and support recruiting efforts. You will be responsible for promoting, brand awareness, screening applications, organizing interviews, managing pipeline, relationships with external platforms/agencies and improving the process and experience of how we recruit and onboard new team members.
60% People Operations: You will be taking ownership over many existing business and people operation systems while suggesting new practices to improve as we grow. We currently use Slack, Gusto, PurelyHR, GSuite, Dropbox and Confluence to name a few.
In addition to recruiting, the list of responsibilities below should be something you genuinely find enjoyable, as the majority of your day is spent here. You should be familiar with and have the ability to take ownership and responsibility over these areas of the business.
- Compliance & registration for all city, state, and federal entities
- Employee benefits: managing renewal process and all compliance for medical, dental, 401k, HSA, FSA
- Finance: managing payroll, contractor payments, invoices and credit card reconciliations
- Employee care: tracking PTO, purchasing gifts, celebrating work anniversaries
- Business admin: managing all aspects of compliance and renewals for business insurance, workers compensation, tax preparation and business surveys
- Asset & subscription management: purchasing, shipping, tracking equipment; managing company subscriptions such as zoom and calendly
- Onboarding: setting up new hires for success with all necessary devices, accounts and assisting in onboarding and training
- Retreats: researching, planning and hosting biannual company off-sites (these are significant week-long events)
- Virtual Summits: researching, planning and hosting quarterly company virtual summits
- A ton of other random research and operational tasks we need your help with at our small company :-)
- 100% remote-first company (we believe in trust and autonomy)
- 2 x annual team retreats ✈️ (Lisbon Retreat Video) when travel is appropriate
- 4 x quarterly virtual summits
- 7 weeks PTO (includes company-wide winter holiday break)
- 1 month paid sabbatical after 5 years
- $200/month coworking stipend
- Paid parental leave (10 wks primary caregiver / 4 wks secondary caregiver)
- 99% premiums paid for excellent medical and dental coverage, including an HSA option (US residents)
- 401k matching at 6% (US residents)
- Dependent care FSA (US residents)
- Our story and team 🚀
- Glassdoor Reviews
We are a small team doing great things - every role is critical to the success of this company. People that are most successful at Close have a resourceful, “doer” approach and mentality. We focus on productivity, impact and quality of work. We’re looking for team members that genuinely understand the nature of being part of a small team that operates in a bootstrapped / start-up-like environment.
At Close, everyone has a voice. We encourage transparency and practicing a mature approach to the work-place. In general, we don’t have strict policies, we have guidelines. Life-work harmony is an important part of our organization - we believe you bring your best to work when you practice self-care (whatever that looks like for you).
We come from 12 countries and 16 states; a collection of talented humans rich in diverse backgrounds, lifestyles, and cultures. Twice a year we meet up somewhere around the world to spend time with one another (however we’re opting for quarterly virtual summits during 2020/2021). We see these retreats as an opportunity to strengthen the social fiber of our community. This team is growing in more ways than one - we’ve recently launched 14 babies (and counting!).
Unanimously, our favorite and most impactful value is “Build a house you want to live in.” We strive to make decisions that are authentic for our organization. At Close, we have a high care factor for one another, in making an awesome product and championing the success of our customers.