Head of Engineering (CNC / CAM)
Factory – Factory Engineering /
Who are CloudNC?
CloudNC's mission is to make single-click manufacture a reality.
We build software that automates control of CNC machines - metal cutting robots that make >$1Trn of components every year, for anything from aircraft to iPhones to cars.
Worldwide over 100 million hours are spent painstakingly programming these incredible machines by hand every year, and we believe this is a colossal waste of human time and talent in an industry already facing an existential skills crisis. Our software, CAM Assist, brings one-click automation to CNC machining.
Our world-class team, with tier 1 financial backers including Atomico, Autodesk and Lockheed Martin, combines expertise in computer science and physical manufacturing, from our locations in London and Chelmsford.
We are scaling from Series B to C at pace and are fully funded for this growth.
Head of Engineering (CNC / CAM)
Are you an Engineering Manager from a Manufacturing background, looking for an exciting role in which you will be creating & developing the very latest Engineering Excellence processes, and shape the newly formed Engineering function for a cutting edge CNC Manufacturing company with a vision of making an autonomous manufacturing group?
What you'll be doing...
Reporting to the COO you will develop and implement the engineering systems strategy and be the focal point for the business on DFM, Estimating, TPM and the introduction of new Products/Customers/Processes. You will lead the Engineering function to include both the Manufacturing and Production Engineers to support the business needs.
The role would suit an Engineering Manager from a Manufacturing CI background with excellent knowledge around CNC / CAM - looking to build your own engineering systems for process improvement and helping us to achieve our goal of creating the perfect autonomous manufacturing solution.
The manufacturing team at CloudNC are masters of our machines. Many of our team have Formula 1, aerospace or automotive background or a mix of several industries. They're broad in experience and responsibilities, meaning they can produce estimates, run machines and provide machine strategies to support our customers and business needs. This means they have full accountability of a part's journey from quoting to the finished component. Often you'll see them working together to reduce cycle times and optimise manufacturing processes to make parts that delight our customers.
They advise on design for manufacture to support our customers with critical projects. They enjoy collaborating with our software engineers to support our development and progression of our world-first software for autonomous machines. This includes advancement in fixture and tooling techniques.
The team is flexible and they've embraced the fast-moving, changing nature of being part of a start-up. Never losing sight of our mission, the team has taken on the challenge to support CloudNC in building its first fully autonomous factory.
Drive DFM (design for Manufacture) activity as a customer value proposition externally - and factory efficiency internally
Encouraging the use of commercial judgement which is as important as Engineering Excellence in all decision making
Working closely with Quality, Finance and the Manufacturing team to lead the 'post manufacturing reviews' to ensure that a structured process improvement culture prevails
Technical management of the Estimating function, ensuring that bid reviews are consistently used to balance 'risk, method and pricing' enabling the business to steer a course that allows it to remain both profitable and competitive through the use of best manufacturing methodologies.
Ensuring that plant maintenance best practice is adopted across the business to ensure maximum 'spindle up time' is available to the Manufacturing team
The implementation and promotion of a continuous improvement culture throughout the business
Working closely with the technology team to develop automated processes wherever practically possible to streamline business practices
Prove out to target
Machine spindle up time (availability)
CI benefit (6x ME cost)
Experience / Knowledge required
● Experienced advocate of process driven Engineering excellence ideally within a CNC manufacturing environment including change management.
● Good people management skills are essential to take a talented but inexperienced team on a rapid scaling journey
● Exposure to a 'Develop on site' and 'sub contract at scale' environment would be advantageous
● Strong experience working with budgets, CAPEX, staff training and appraisals
● A good craft apprenticeship would be desirable and ideally coupled with an Engineering Degree
● Practical TPM experience (essential)
● Good computer literacy skills (essential)
● Ability to write concise and effective SOPs & written procedures.
● The ability to read and understand complex Customer drawings, models and Customer Specifications is essential in order to deliver competent DFM advice to customers
● Exposure to and experience of CAM & CNC manufacturing environments (highly desirable)
● Previous member of a Senior Management Team, understanding the dynamics of the team, functional departments and their interrelationships.
● Confident customer facing experience (essential)
We are nothing without our team, as such you'll receive:
● Highly Competitive Salary (Happy to discuss at application stage)
● 28 days holiday (Plus Bank Hols)
● Company Stock Options!
● Private Healthcare
● Life Assurance 4 x salary
● Enhanced primary, secondary and adoption parental pay & leave (maternity/paternity)
● Thanks Ben - Benefits Package
● Monthly Lunches
● Team Socials
● Stocked Kitchen
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, valuing individuality and embracing all people. The success of CloudNC is a result of diversity of thought. We recognise this comes from people truly belonging. We encourage different perspectives and skills to collaborate towards our mission - disrupting the manufacturing industry. We celebrate diversity and continually improve our inclusivity efforts.