Pay and Benefits Professional
Los Angeles, CA /
CNM LLP is a technical advisory services firm that works with the top local talent on the most comprehensive and intriguing projects for discerning clients ranging from start-ups to closely held mid-market companies to large multi-national Fortune 1000 firms. The CNM reputation is built upon a foundation of professional excellence and trusted relationships and is recognized nationally for commitment to excellence. Employees value the open and honest environment, consistent focus on work life balance and an outstanding culture that is difficult to find anywhere else in the professional services industry. This unwavering attention to providing an exceptional work environment has enabled CNM to be recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work in Los Angeles” for the fourth consecutive year and named as one of Inc. 5000’s “Fastest Growing Private Companies in 2018.”
We are currently searching for a Pay and Benefits Professional to partner with our growing Operations team serving multiple offices in multiple states. The Pay and Benefits Professional will act as a subject matter expert in payroll and benefits with the ability to increase employee engagement through high touch employee interface. Position is located in Woodland Hills and requires ability to commute to Woodland Hills daily (after pandemic restrictions are relaxed).
General Job Duties: Will use payroll software, input payroll data and prepare payroll checks. Processes irregular payments such as bonuses. Answers employee questions related to payroll and resolves issues. Maintains Leave of Absence and personal time records. Helps to ensure payroll practices meet government compliance. Processes wage and salary changes resulting from merit increases, promotions or other job changes, or market adjustments, and payments associated with commission or incentive compensation plans. Ensures calculations and withholdings are accurate. Administers organizational benefits programs. Provides employees clarity in understanding the organizations benefits offerings and acts as a liaison between the organization and third-party benefits providers. Conducts orientation or enrollment meetings, advises on eligibility, costs, and coverage, and provides information for, develops communications and presents benefits communications.
- Process payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including reviewing and importing hours from time and attendance system (Tenrox), entering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements (garnishments, tax levies, and support orders), and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with People Operations team to improve payroll processes.
- Evaluate and implement payroll systems upgrades and changes.
- Prepare quarterly tax credit reports and submit to third party vendor.
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Maintain employee records in payroll systems.
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees.
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and People Operations requirements.
- Assist employees in a timely manner, responding to questions or issues with payroll and time & attendance.
- Enter and verify all incentives, bonuses, commissions, and other earnings as necessary.
- Administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations.
- Coordinates and conducts the new employee benefits presentation during on boarding to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, partnering with broker to conduct meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Accounting for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401k, etc.).
- Addresses benefit inquiries to ensure timely and accurate resolutions. Maintains contact with employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Processes monthly billings from providers. Reviews billings for accuracy and approves for payment in a timely manner. Resolves discrepancies with carriers and payroll.
- Coordinate with third party administrator to manage disability claims according to the plan.
- Administers online COBRA enrollments/changes and responds to and manages unemployment claims.
- Maintain and manage the garnishment and child support processes. Meet with employees as necessary.
- Works closely with the insurance broker and staff to maintain enrollment accuracy.
- Performs benefit audits to ensure accurate enrollment.
- Stays current on payroll systems to achieve alignment with People Operations benefits and other related areas and to ensure effective Accounting team support.
- Maintains complete electronic employee personnel files, records and other documentation for employees, including processing new employees, forms for employment status changes and maintaining timely and accurate files.
- Coordinates pre employment status changes and maintaining timely and accurate files.
- Prepares statistical summaries and reports involving payroll information, performance management, demographic data and other employee data, requiring knowledge of the various Human Resources disciplines.
- Assists to maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data and reviewing source documents for accuracy and completion of data input.
- Generates files/reports including: annual non-discrimination testing for benefits plans, annual reports, as well as other special and ad hoc reports as requested.
- Recommends business process improvements.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- At least 6+ years of experience administering payroll, benefits required.
- Work experience should include knowledge of basic human resources, advanced payroll practices, benefits administration, and compliance or other related experience. Prefer experience with Kronos/OnePoint.
- Must have strong knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including payroll benefits and time & attendance (currently using Tenrox). Experience with Kronos/OnePoint a plus.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and terminology, payroll and benefit processes and procedures, including eligibility and enrollment rules and benefit procedures.
- Demonstrates exceptional analytical skills and ability to create useful and actionable reports from data.
- Possess strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Possess strong organization skills and ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to edit and proofread.
- Possess a creative outlook with a problem-solving attitude.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and follow-through skills.
- Has shown ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests for data, ability to provide excellent customer service a must.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, and PowerPoint. Excel skills required.
- Understanding of PTO accruals and quarterly tax regulations.
- Accurate and detail oriented.
- Strong math, logic and analysis skills.
- Must be able to work as a team player.
- Will serve as a member of relevant teams as assigned.
Experience and Education:
- Performs work under general supervision.
- Handles moderately complex issues and problems.
- Possesses solid working knowledge of subject matter.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree and 6 to 8 years of experience.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge of subject matter.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to a subordinate group.
- May act as a lead or first-level supervisor.
- Payroll and/or benefit certification a plus.
CNM LLP offers an excellent base, bonus and incentive compensation package. The benefits package is designed to meet an employee’s needs regardless of the stage an employee is at including medical, dental, paid maternity and parental leave, 401(k) with match and flexible spending accounts for employees and dependents. We offer training that assists employees in reaching their career goals and, in addition to a regular paid time off policy, we also offer an extra five days off between Christmas and New Year holidays annually for firm-wide shut down. CNM believes in social interaction and networking and employees participate in unbelievable social events each summer and winter. The firm also supports employees offering an annual technology bonus, health and wellness bonus, monthly cell phone reimbursement, fully stocked kitchens with food, drink and snacks and much, much more. Please reach out to our talent team and we will walk you through why you deserve a career with CNM LLP.
Please note: all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.