Any US or Canada - remote /
Engineering – Data Science /
Coalition’s Insurance and Cybersecurity offerings come together to provide a comprehensive shield from cyber risk. We believe the task of locking down every system and keeping up with every vulnerability is challenging and while being proactive is important, it’s not enough because breaches and other compromises happen, even to the vigilant.
While we proactively help our customers understand active risks and shut them down, when all else fails, we are there for them financially and with services to help mitigate damage and come back stronger after an incident.
Help us protect the world against cyber risk and give business owners a trusted support system and fighting chance.
We have over 25,000 customers, ranging from small and mid-sized businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $125M from a number of top tier global investment firms including Ribbit Capital, Greenoaks Capital, Valor Equity Partners, Felicis Ventures, and Vy Capital. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is distributed across more than 15 locations globally, including Austin, Washington DC, Denver, Canada and Portugal.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity, and no a-holes. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
About the role
Coalition is looking for an actuary to help us solve cyber risk by modeling the quantitative performance of our book of business, and helping us quickly adapt to the ever-changing risk landscape. This role comes with a significant amount of responsibility and requires both technical acumen and communication skills. Focal areas include working with our underwriting team to understand changes in the risk landscape, translating claims developments to rating plans, and working with carrier partners to ensure the viability of our book.
- Build and evaluate pricing models, including trending and adjusting premiums and expenses using accepted actuarial techniques
- Create and monitor KPIs and lead performance reviews of our portfolio
- Collaborate with the data science and underwriting teams to rapidly incorporate observed data trends into actionable rating plans
- Leverage internal and external data sources to enhance risk segmentation with novel feature development
- 3+ years experience in pricing cyber actuarial risk
- FCAS or ACAS credentials
- Expertise in modeling loss development patterns for cyber and ability to quickly update models in the face of changing data
- The ability to work with internal and external business stakeholders to concisely present complicated quantitative results
- An informed opinion on statistically valid methods of combining 1st-party and 3rd-party data into a statistically valid view of risk.
- Experience with surplus lines as well as admitted rate filings with the State Department of Insurance
- Interest in or ability in working in Python, R and/or SQL
- Experience in modeling both aggregate portfolios as well as individual policies on an overdetermined dataset
- Excited by the opportunity to use thousands of variables to solve cyber risk
- Enjoy a highly fulfilling, mission-driven culture
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation days
- We embrace distributed work; some benefits will vary by location
- You are an owner! We offer stock options to each of our employees
- More details at https://www.coalitioninc.com/careers
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We’re also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.