Senior Software Engineering Manager
Any US - remote /
Engineering – Engineering /
Coalition’s Insurance and Cybersecurity offerings come together to provide a comprehensive shield from cyber risk. We believe the task of locking down every system and keeping up with every vulnerability is challenging and while being proactive is important, it’s not enough because breaches and other compromises happen, even to the vigilant.
While we proactively help our customers understand active risks and shut them down, when all else fails, we are there for them financially and with services to help mitigate damage and come back stronger after an incident.
Help us protect the world against cyber risk and give business owners a trusted support system and fighting chance.
We have over 25,000 customers, ranging from small and mid-sized businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $125M from a number of top tier global investment firms including Ribbit Capital, Greenoaks Capital, Valor Equity Partners, Felicis Ventures, and Vy Capital. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is distributed across more than 15 locations globally, including Austin, Washington DC, Denver, Canada and Portugal.
About the Role:
Engineering Managers at Coalition focus on enabling teams to perform at their best by supporting projects throughout their lifecycle and the humans that work on them through their growth.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Work with a cross-functional team including Product Management, Software Engineering, Quality Engineering, SRE, and Design to deliver value for our broker and policyholder customers.
- Facilitate the growth of engineering staff members and look after the roster of the team.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to help incorporate company goals and initiatives into the team’s backlog.
- Work with Product to break down requirements, write architecture documents, and learn and improve on other parts of the software development lifecycle.
- Work with other engineering managers on cross-cutting concerns such as dependency management, training, and other initiatives related to supporting teams and company initiatives.
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen, and important items that come up along the way.
- Computer Science or Engineering degree, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Cross-functional engineering team management on multiple concurrent projects and on multiple teams
- Production experience with distributed cloud-native systems
- Performance management including one-on-ones, performance reviews, improvement plans, and other processes for helping teams do their best work
- Working with both technical and non-technical stakeholders on projects with complex business logic.
- Development and execution of hiring and growth plans
- Project planning and coordination with multiple stakeholders
- Understanding of software development and quality metrics like delivery lead time, error rate, application performance metrics
- It’s not the years that count, it’s what you do with them but we guess you’d likely have 5+ years of engineering management experience
- Managing teams across multiple types of approaches (product, feature, matrix, etc)
- Managing remote, distributed teams
- Experience scaling agile practices across multiple teams (LeSS, Scrum@Scale, SAFE, etc)
- Business rules knowledge about some type of insurance products
- Development in distributed, event-driven and message-driven architectures
- Enjoy a highly fulfilling, mission-driven culture
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation days
- We embrace distributed work; some benefits will vary by location
- You are an owner! We offer stock options to each of our employees
- More details at https://www.coalitioninc.com/careers
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We’re also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.