Any US - remote /
Engineering – Data Science /
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help businesses manage and mitigate cyber risk. Coalition’s unique product offerings combine best-in-class insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help keep businesses safe. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive cyber insurance to help organizations recover. We have over 25,000 customers, ranging from small and mid-sized businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $125M from a number of top tier global investment firms including Ribbit Capital, Greenoaks Capital, Valor Equity Partners, Felicis Ventures, and Vy Capital. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is distributed across more than 15 locations globally, including Austin, Washington DC, Denver, Canada and Portugal.
About the Role
Coalition is looking for an experienced data scientist to help us build out data-driven business solutions in our mission to assess and solve cyber risk. In this role, you will work closely with our claims, signals collection and underwriting teams to turn the large amount of data we collect into measurable business impact, via analytics, experimentation, and predictive modeling.
- Partner with our Insurance, Underwriting, Claims, and Cybersecurity teams to identify gaps, opportunities and ultimately create business proposals backed by data
- Use analytics, statistics, and experimental design to measure business performance and quantify the impact of new strategic initiatives
- Help scale the business by turning one-off analyses into automated processes via (peer-reviewed!) code
- Investigate and measure potential cost/benefit of the acquisition of new data sources or data systems
- Contribute towards our analytics engineering codebase (DBT/Snowflake/Looker) and be an active participant within the team of building the best data science workflow!
- 3+ years in applying analytics and predictive modeling to business problems
- Ability to work independently and deliver end-to-end output.
- Advanced ability with SQL, Python or a similar scripting language, with experience interacting with a shared codebase
- Good communication skills: The ability to partner with internal and external business stakeholders to concisely present complicated quantitative results
- A strong grasp of fundamental statistics - can perform sample size calculations and reason through error distributions
- Ability to construct mathematical models for random processes and familiarity with standard regression techniques
- Experience designing experiments and determining required duration and sample size
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulation techniques
- Excited by the opportunity to use thousands of variables to solve cyber risk!
- Enjoy a highly fulfilling, mission-driven culture
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation days
- We embrace distributed work; some benefits will vary by location
- You are an owner! We offer stock options to each of our employees
- More details at https://www.coalitioninc.com/careers
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We’re also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.