Backend Engineer - Growth
Engineering – Engineering /
At Coalition, we bring together cyber tools, data, and deep security expertise to help customers solve cyber risk. We have over 25,000 customers, ranging from small and mid-sized businesses to Fortune 500 companies, and that number is growing fast.
You’ll be writing backend services and helping design systems that manage a complex set of business rules and allow those rules to map to deterministic outcomes. You enjoy making sure that all the logic branches of your system are well understood and tested and you focus on engineering excellence. You enjoy building APIs that are joyful to consume and making sure everyone understands the lifecycle events of the services you build.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Build out high quality APIs and web services providing a scalable, efficient, and tailored set of interfaces
- Design, document, and deploy public interfaces that are a joy to consume
- Work with cross functional stakeholders including product, design, sales, and others to help break down business requirements into actionable plans.
- Collaborate with SRE to develop and deliver applications in a repeatable, stable, and joyful software development lifecycle
- Develop test cases and work with QE to ensure engineering excellence
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen, and important items that come up along the way.
- Computer Science or Engineering degree, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- API and service development in Python
- Production tested cloud native development principles including horizontal scaling, 12-factor application design, security principles like OWASP, etc
- Analyzing software errors with tools like Sentry, DataDog, Jaeger/Zipkin, GreyLog, or App Dynamics
- Container based deployment and development with Docker
- Experience using multiple transports and formats (e.g. REST, gRPC, GraphQL)
- Use of source control (git, svn, perforce)
- Working with an agile team using collaborative development tools (Atlassian Suite, GitHub, GitLab)
- It’s not the years, it’s the miles but we’d expect you’d like have at least 4 years of hands-on software development experience building APIs and services
- Production experience serving large user bases (100,000+)
- Production experience with other languages such as go, Java, Scala, Rust.
- Development in distributed, event-driven and message-driven architectures
- Enjoy a highly fulfilling, mission-driven culture
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation days
- We embrace distributed work; some benefits will vary by location
- You are an owner! We offer stock options to each of our employees
- More details at https://www.coalitioninc.com/careers
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We’re also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.