Senior Backend Engineer
Any US - remote /
Engineering – Engineering /
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help businesses manage and mitigate cyber risk. Coalition’s unique product offerings combine best-in-class insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help keep businesses safe. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive cyber insurance to help organizations recover. We have over 25,000 customers, ranging from small and mid-sized businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $125M from a number of top tier global investment firms including Ribbit Capital, Greenoaks Capital, Valor Equity Partners, Felicis Ventures, and Vy Capital. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is distributed across more than 15 locations globally, including Austin, Washington DC, Denver, Canada and Portugal.
About the role
This is a generalist role and we have many projects and tasks that you can take on, depending on your preferred area of focus. You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructure / components from the ground up. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
- Designing and implementing features/services for business logic of the complex and nuanced insurance industry.
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end.
- Implementing robust document generation and version management systems.
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc.
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
- Data science: using the data we have collected, designing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities.
- Infrastructure: container based development environments, scalable microservices, and cloud-based hosting environments.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations or OpenAPI/Swagger scaffolding.
- React or other modern front-end development frameworks
- SQL, ORM implementations and design patterns, and pure relational data modeling patterns
- Demonstrable experience building scalable enterprise CRUD applications
- Solid understanding of enterprise architecture and design patterns
- Testing frameworks and CI/CD best practices
- Git and agile workflows
- Familiarity with our specific stack (Linux, Postgres, Python 3.7, SQLAlchemy, Flask, React)
- Experience with Golang service best practices for concurrent designs
- Experience with deployment automation and scalable infrastructure
- Experience with building service oriented architectures and distributed systems
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc.
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
- Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing
- Enjoy a highly fulfilling, mission-driven culture
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation days
- We embrace distributed work; some benefits will vary by location
- You are an owner! We offer stock options to each of our employees
- More details at https://www.coalitioninc.com/careers
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We’re also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.