Help build amazing new game-based learning experiences for students around the world!
CodeCombat is a client-heavy web app that blends educational tools and a HTML5 game. You'll find yourself working in all parts of the stack, from expanding our game engine to support new game experiences to building great interfaces empowering teachers to manage their classes. There are many opportunities to lead significant engineering efforts as we grow the team.
Who We Are
CodeCombat is building a new way for K-12 students and at-home learners to learn computer science, using real programming languages to explore an adventure game. Students learn how to write functions to control their hero avatars, implement puzzle-solving strategies, and code their own games. We continually research, experiment, and iterate on new ways to combine education and games for students worldwide.
We recently released Ozaria, a computer science program, an adventure game, and a fantasy story where students can master core computer science concepts. The unfolding narrative creates a powerful student-centered learning experience, with each student’s investment in Ozaria’s story paralleling the investment they are making in their own learning journey.
We are a small, tight-knit team dedicated to providing an enjoyable, meaningful place to work. Team members pursue a healthy work/life balance with flexible working hours. All of our team members work remotely from all around the world, with concentrations in San Francisco and Beijing.
Our work is purposeful.
We bring our personal best every day, because our game-based learning can be life-changing for young people.
Strength comes from interdependence.
We recognize that each of us is central to the mission of CodeCombat. We know our differences create strength and resilience. We engage one another with respect for who we are, not only what we do. We create community with intention, because we need each other–and because it's fun.
Kind, not just "nice".
We don't let fear of not being "nice" get in the way of the direct communication that underpins healthy relationships. We build strong connections through honest dialogue, even when the conversations are difficult.
Structure can be liberating.
Transparent processes let us focus on making the right decisions–and they create channels for diverse voices to speak. Eliminate information silos and shadow structures; create known communication channels and clear responsibilities.
We can operate at any speed.
We're thoughtful about how fast we go. We pay attention when the lights change. Sometimes we walk.
Learning and growth go hand-in-hand.
Every experience is an opportunity to learn, and our team is growing every day. When we think we know it all, it means we have more to learn.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate cross-functionally to improve existing features and ship new ones
- Execute pragmatically, writing understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability
- Lead technical discussions and drive technical decisions
- Help to define and improve internal processes and patterns to ensure continued product quality and stability
- Manage a global deployment across multiple data centers
- Manage integrations with popular teaching tools such as Clever and Google Classroom
- Calculate student progression and classroom statics in real time helping teachers understand student progress and pain points
Who You Are
- Experience as an engineer in a team environment (we use these competency levels)
- Experience building complex web applications
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to gather product & business requirements, weigh technical difficulty against business requirements to influence execution strategy
- Excited about the opportunities and variety of projects in an early-stage startup
- Passionate about spreading innovative computer science education
- Worked with frontend libraries such as Vue
- Previous experience in ed-tech or game development
- Experience with CSS preprocessors like Sass
- Experience with AWS or equivalent cloud infrastructure
- Excited about the opportunity to influence and shape technical decisions influencing millions of learners and teachers
CodeCombat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.