Senior Backend Engineer
CodeCombat is building a new way for kids to learn computer science, using real programming languages to explore an adventure game. Students go from simple function calls, to implementing complex game strategies, all the way to building their own websites and games. We continually research, experiment and iterate on new ways to combine education and games for students worldwide!
We are dedicated to providing an enjoyable, meaningful place to work. Team members pursue a healthy work/life balance, with a generous amount of vacation and team activities to encourage time away from your screen. As a small growing startup, everyone has an outsized role in helping guide how we build out our vision; your contribution will have major effects on how we grow as a team.
Use your extensive background with servers and databases to improve and extend the services which our application depends on. Apply the latest technology and solutions to maintaining a fast, reliable worldwide presence. Collaborate with the rest of the team to deliver amazing new learning and gaming experiences to our students!
- Collaborate with team members to improve existing features and ship new ones
- Drive backend engineering excellence across the team
- Mentor other engineers on writing good server code and navigating the server infrastructure
- Analyze, manage and improve our production servers, databases and deployment systems.
- Ensure our production environment runs smoothly
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience as a Backend developer in a team environment
- Experience scaling web applications
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and empathy
- Authorized to work in U.S.
- Expert knowledge of Node.js and MongoDB.
- Experience with Linux and shell scripting
- Experience with virtualization systems (e.g. AWS)
- Comfortable working with Docker or other container systems and their deployment