Head of Design
San Francisco, CA HQ /
Remote - US only
You're in high demand. We get it. The best people always are. So what could we possibly say to stand apart from the others also competing for your talents?
We could tell you that you'd be on the ground floor of one of the hottest new startups in Silicon Valley. We could tell you how we’re completely changing the way millions of developers and development teams read and understand large scale systems forever.
Maybe most people will find this pretty compelling. But you're not most people. So why us? Why this opportunity?
Because this is everything you've ever wanted in a job:
It’s solving a problem you are passionate and actually care about but you don’t know it yet. Developers spend 60% of their time, day-to-day, reading code to understand how their system works, and building up massive amounts of context in their heads to do it well.
But you’re a designer, why do you care? This is the reason why engineering and design (and frankly every other department) have such a hard time communicating. Engineers have this information stuck in their heads and you can’t reason about it, you can’t share it and you sure can’t design for it.
We believe it doesn't have to be this way. CodeSee is building developer tools that get that context out of developers’ heads — allowing them to more easily understand the code in front of them and share it and reason about it so the entire team can get more stuff done. We need you to help us innovate in this space, and supercharge our ability to bring this to market faster!
It's the team you’ve always wanted. It's working alongside some of the brightest minds in tech, who despite being proven leaders in their field, remain humble and helpful. Accomplished colleagues who can communicate clearly and effectively and who embrace your contributions with an open mind and no ego. It's about enjoying your work alongside a team of dependable, emotionally mature colleagues, who thrive in a collaborative environment and are excited by what they're doing everyday.
It's a work environment you’ve only dreamed of. No, that doesn't mean pinball machines and beer on tap. It means being treated like the experienced, well-rounded, capable adult that you are. It's the freedom to explore new ideas without first asking for permission.
It's the ability to experiment and take calculated risks without fear of failure, because we know failure brings new insight. It's the opportunity to learn more, grow faster and have more impact than you ever thought possible.
It's the company culture you've been longing for. It's being proud of where you work, knowing you are a part of a company with moral leaders, strong principles and unshakable ethics. It's fostering a genuinely inclusive workplace where everyone is treated with respect -- and brilliant jerks are not tolerated. It’s a culture of transparency and trust where you are encouraged to pursue your curiosity, and genuinely supported in your personal growth. It’s being trusted to make good decisions and being unafraid to take smart risks.
So again why us?
Because it's exceedingly rare to find a meaningful, challenging role that you genuinely enjoy, with an extraordinary work environment and outstanding company culture, and with impact that's poised for explosive growth!
Like, once in a lifetime rare.
And that's got to be worth a conversation at least, right???
So how will you spend your days? You’ll be one of our first hires! We are creating industry changing, innovative design. No one has built or designed a tool like ours before. We are bringing design and user experience to an audience and an industry that rarely prioritizes it, but absolutely craves it. There are key user experiences to develop, iterate, and innovate on. There are best practices to solidify. You’ll be designing a product that requires a higher sophistication of design leadership. We expect you to bring your opinions for following user experience best practices, but also be able to throw them away when our users' needs don’t warrant them. You’ll be dogfooding our products helping us to change the way design and engineering function together — not just at our company but at every software company.
Who are you?
- BONUS: If you have software engineering experience or have previously worked on a developer tool.
- Excellent user experience skills because you've managed and executed a complex design strategy and quite a bit of visual design experience.
- Have refined, clear and effective communication skills. You enter discussions with humility, and maintain a focus on outcomes.
- Research oriented, prepared to dive deep into the problem space and existing approaches across developer tools, but not afraid to break the mold and innovate when it serves our mission and users. Excited to go broad and explore before going deep.
- Highly collaborative with your team. (And no, this does not mean design by committee.) Open and eager for feedback from the team, and especially from users. Since this is a space we are innovating in, we all need to work together and bring as much wisdom and experience to the (design review) table as possible.
- An insightful problem solver, capable of autonomously defining and executing on a technical vision, but eager to collaborate on it.
- Excited to join an early-stage startup, and clear-eyed about the scrappiness, flexibility, and resilience that it requires.
- Are adept at having difficult conversations and providing uncomfortable feedback in a supportive way. And you actively solicit and embrace feedback from others.
- Deeply live iterative product development: balancing speed and iteration with quality and maintainability, and adjust that balance based on the situation.
- Take pride in the designs that you make. You value a clean, elegant and efficient design system, and encourage the same for your team.
- Are biased toward action: you deliver results quickly and iterate instead of waiting for perfection.
We understand that sometimes the best designers aren't the ones who ‘check all the boxes’. We also value and support individual growth, which means not knowing something isn't as important as your ability and willingness to learn it. If you answer “yes” to the majority of the skills and traits above, and you’re excited to develop the others, then you're someone we’d love to talk with.