Senior Full Stack Engineer
San Francisco, CA HQ /
You're in high demand. We get it. The best people always are. So what could we possibly say to stand apart from the others also competing for your talents?
We could tell you that you'd be on the ground floor of one of the hottest new startups in Silicon Valley. We could tell you how we’re completely changing the way millions of developers read and understand large scale systems forever.
Maybe most people will find this pretty compelling. But you're not most people. So why us? Why this opportunity?
Because this is everything you've ever wanted in a job:
It’s solving a problem you are passionate and actually care about.
Developers spend 60% of their time, day-to-day, reading code to understand how their system works, and building up massive amounts of context in their heads to do it well. You’re a developer so we know that you live this everyday. We believe it doesn't have to be this way. CodeSee is building developer tools that get that context out of developers’ heads — allowing them to more easily understand the code in front of them and focus their mental energy on getting stuff done. We need you to help us innovate in this space, and supercharge our ability to bring this to market faster!
It's the team you’ve always wanted.
It's working alongside some of the brightest minds in tech, who despite being proven leaders in their field, remain humble and helpful. Accomplished colleagues who can communicate clearly and effectively and who embrace your contributions with an open mind and no ego. It's about enjoying your work alongside a team of dependable, emotionally mature colleagues, who thrive in a collaborative environment and are excited by what they're doing everyday.
It's a work environment you’ve only dreamed of.
No, that doesn't mean pinball machines and beer on tap. It means being treated like the experienced, well-rounded, capable adult that you are. It's the freedom to explore new ideas without first asking for permission. It's the ability to experiment and take calculated risks without fear of failure, because we know failure brings new insight. It's the opportunity to learn more, grow faster and have more impact than you ever thought possible.
It's the company culture you've been longing for.
It's being proud of where you work, knowing you are a part of a company with moral leaders, strong principles and unshakable ethics. It's fostering a genuinely inclusive workplace where everyone is treated with respect -- and brilliant jerks are not tolerated. It’s a culture of transparency and trust where you are encouraged to pursue your curiosity, and genuinely supported in your personal growth. It’s being trusted to make good decisions and being unafraid to take smart risks.
So again why us?
Because it's exceedingly rare to find a meaningful, challenging role that you genuinely enjoy, with an extraordinary work environment and outstanding company culture, and with impact that's poised for explosive growth!
Like, once in a lifetime rare.
And that's got to be worth a conversation at least, right???
So how will you spend your days?
You’ll be one of our first hires! There are fundamental technical and architectural decisions to make. There are key user experiences to develop, iterate, and innovate on. There are best practices to solidify. You’ll be building a product, and you’ll be establishing the foundation for a world-class engineering department. And you’ll be dogfooding the tools that we build, because we’re building them for people like you.
Who are you?
* Passionate about developer tools: making developers’ lives easier and empowering them with new capabilities and insights.
* A strong generalist who is effective and enthusiastic at ramping up in new and unfamiliar areas quickly.
* An insightful problem solver, capable of autonomously defining and executing on a technical vision, but eager to collaborate on it.
* Excited to join an early-stage startup, and clear-eyed about the scrappiness, flexibility, and resilience that it requires.
* Have refined, effective communication skills. You enter discussions with humility, and maintain a focus on outcomes.
* Are adept at having difficult conversations and providing uncomfortable feedback in a supportive way. And you actively solicit and embrace feedback from others.
* Deeply live iterative product development: balancing speed and iteration with quality and maintainability, and adjust that balance based on the situation.
* Take pride in the code that you write. You value clean elegant and efficient code, and encourage the same for your team Are biased toward action: you deliver results quickly and iterate instead of waiting for perfection.
* Are intensely curious, always learning something new or digging deeper to understand how something works, and you don't consider work done until it has been tested and documented.
What do you know?
We will be building CodeSee with web technologies. You should be an expert at software development for the web and in the cloud, and can comfortably discuss the trade-offs and impacts of decisions on productivity, maintainability, and scaling.
Also, while these are not required, it’s a nice bonus if you are familiar with any of these concepts:
* Previous experience with developer tooling will be helpful, but can be learned on the job: AST manipulation, CI/CD and build environments, IDE plugin development, etc.
We understand that sometimes the best engineers aren't the ones who ‘check all the boxes’. We also value and support individual growth, which means not knowing something isn't as important as your ability and willingness to learn it. If you answer “yes” to the majority of the skills and traits above, and you’re excited to develop the others, then you're someone we’d love to talk with.
CodeSee is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including theSan Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.