Senior Software Engineer, Backend Platform (Python)
SF, Seattle, or Toronto
Your mission is to help people fall in love!
Coffee Meets Bagel (CMB) is a dating app that’s getting to the heart of meaningful connections. And like in any good relationship, we want to cultivate empathy, teamwork, and a celebration of different perspectives. We’re not only seeking candidates who are just as excited about dating and relationships as we are, but who also have diverse backgrounds and skillsets. Sound like you? Keep reading!
Passion is key, but it’s equally important that you’re excited to make positive and impactful changes on backend's platform of apis and services. If solving challenging engineering problems at scale makes your heart flutter, we want you!
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll work on impactful projects with supportive team members in a highly collaborative environment, and you’ll contribute to our stack that reaches millions of users daily. It’s all part of working toward our company mission: to create real connections that inspire personal growth. That’s because we champion love, but we think that dating and relationships can be used by everyone as a lens for self-reflection, too.
Our job can be deeply challenging, but it’s also immensely rewarding and tons of fun!
Here are some of the ongoing projects our team is currently working on
- Automatic content moderation. Help improve our event-driven system for recognition of faces in photos, suggestive imagery, and abusive language in profiles. Help influence business decisions and reduce manual workload by making moderation decisions on millions of photos!
- Automatic scammer detection. Help us find the bad actors on our dating site. You'll be using creativity and analytics to find new ways to attack this problem. Work with data scientists to implement scammer detection models that can quickly ban these bad actors from our platform.You know your computer science fundamentals.
- Performance, performance, performance! Every system has bottlenecks and ours is no different. When you’re dealing with big data, small changes can result in big improvements! Help work on data services, caching layers, database optimizations, async queues, and event pipelines.
- Mid-tier services. Build and support systems that authenticate users, empower chats, log internal analytics, send push notifications, and help make match recommendations.
- Microservices. We are decomposing large services into smaller pieces, so that the company can be more nimble. Help identify and plan areas of the code base that would be fitting for this migration!
What would qualify you as a good fit for us?
- You have 6+ years of work experience on the backend (apis, web services, and distributed systems)
- You have strong coding skills and has the ability to pick up new languages with relative easy (Most of our stack is in Python but we also have a little bit of Go, Elixir, and Scala)
- You show considerable care for code quality, documentation, testing and accuracy of implementation.
- You have opinions on distributed systems and understand why they're hard.
- You design your code for scalability and performance.
- You can reason and debate about tradeoffs of a database choice for a particular storage problem.
- You can communicate complex technical concepts with ease both verbally and in writing.
- You absolutely love to work with other engineers and jump at the chance to help answer questions or solve a problem for someone else.
- You always take ownership of the tasks at hand and keep yourself accountable to get your work done.
- You've worked on consumer mobile products
- You've been in a growth stage company that dealt with scaling challenges on different fronts.
- You understand what it means to engineer for reliability. You think about systems not just about the way they work but the way they can fail.
Some technologies you'll work with include
- Python/Django/Flask, Go, Elixir, Scala, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Docker, RabbitMQ, and AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, SQS, Kinesis, Step Functions, Lambda, Elasticcache, Redshift)
We have very competitive pay, equity, 401k, great medical options and all the usual startup perks, including a fully stocked snack bar, catered lunches, flexible work hours/vacation policy, happy hours, and more! (And did we mention the workplace dogs?)
Check out this interesting blog post published by AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/database/powering-recommendation-models-using-amazon-elasticache-for-redis-at-coffee-meets-bagel/. It was written by our own engineers to get a closer look at what we've got going on under the hood! Or, maybe you want some deeper insight on the culture at CMB? Jump over to https://www.keyvalues.com/coffee-meets-bagel to see what our engineering team is all about.