Senior Finance & Business Operations Analyst
* Please note that this position is only open to candidates in the SF Bay Area and US/Canada. Other locations will not be considered at this time.
Founded in 2012, Coffee Meets Bagel is one of the top dating mobile apps in the massive $5B online dating industry. We are headquartered in San Francisco with remote employees across the U.S. and Canada, and consistently rank as one of the best companies to work for per Glassdoor (4.7 overall rating with 96% CEO approval as of July 2021).
How are we different from other dating apps? We were founded by women with a mission to focus on a “slow dating” approach via a curated set of profiles sent everyday at noon that emphasizes authentic relationships, instead of asking you to swipe through infinite profiles. We have received various accolades and named one of the Top 10 Dating apps by Time Magazine and the Best Dating App for Women by Refinery29.
We are looking for a strong business athlete to join our Finance & Business Operations (BizOps) team as an individual contributor reporting into our Finance Lead / Head of BizOps. This role is a great opportunity for someone looking to transition into a BizOps role (e.g., from investment banking, consulting, or FP&A) and learn from a team that has been doing BizOps for over a decade. This is not your typical Finance role and will be the intersection of strategy, operations, analytics with a high degree of cross-functional collaboration and execution. We are looking for people passionate to grow within a start-up environment, and partner with our functional teams including Product, Marketing, Data/Analytics, Engineering, et al. In addition to standard financial planning and analysis (FP&A), this person will support various high-profile strategic initiatives summarized below.
The ideal candidate will have a background in financial modeling & data analysis, be comfortable working with large datasets, and have an ability to break down complex problems into their basic elements. You will need to communicate and storytell effectively to executives and front-line employees, have high empathy and EQ, be data-driven to solve problems, and be systems/process-oriented. You will have the opportunity to tap into our rich data sets and influence our company’s strategy and roadmaps.
- BizOps and Strategy:
- Collaborate with our functional business partners across Product, Marketing, Analytics, Customer Experience, Engineering to update our executives on our business metrics vs goals (e.g., new users, revenue, subscribers, retention, LTV, et al).
- Support our international strategy (with an emphasis on Asia), by helping our Finance team build country-specific financial models and reporting for enhanced decision making and resource planning.
- Partner with our Analytics team on user cohort analysis and ad hoc investigations (e.g., revenue) and refining our metrics dashboards.
- Assist in quarterly business updates to our Board.
- Support our capital fundraising initiatives.
- Monitor competitive intelligence and dating industry insights leveraging 3rd party data and public company disclosures including new monetization initiatives and total addressable market (TAM) and our share by region.
- Performance Marketing:
- Partner with our Marketing & Analytics team to measure our paid marketing / user acquisition return on ad spend (ROAS), unit economics (e.g., LTV and CAC by cohort) by ad channel (e.g., Facebook/Instagram, Google, Apple, et al).
- Perform ad hoc analysis and build detailed reporting by marketplace and segment with our Analytics team.
- Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A):
- Partner with our executive staff and Marketing team to forecast our growth investments and associated revenue and cost impact to our P&L.
- Partner with our functional leads and Operations team to report on Revenue by segment, and budget vs actuals (BvA) by dept.
- Insights, Data, Analytics:
- Basic SQL query manipulation with our Analytics team for metrics reporting and ad hoc analyses.
- Conduct hypothesis-driven analyses to identify and quantify growth opportunities, and effectively influence key decision makers.
- Effectively communicate insights & recommendations to executives including clear storytelling and data visualization, utilizing Google Slides or other presentation tools.
- Help “connect the dots” on how moving certain metrics translates to P&L impact.
- At least 2 years work experience in investment banking, management consulting, BizOps, FP&A, or equivalent financial analysis experience building advanced driver-based Excel financial forecast models and using advanced functions such as pivot tables, if/then statements, scenarios.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Statistics, Math, Engineering, or related quantitative discipline at a reputable university
- Expert in MSFT Excel financial modeling and relevant functions (e.g., if/then statements, pivot tables, scenarios). Your Excel skills will be tested as part of the interview process. Must be able to analyze large volumes of data.
- Basic fluency in SQL. Your SQL skills will be tested as part of the interview process.
- Fluency in creating standard Excel charts (e.g., line chart, stacked bars).
- Fluency in Google Slides, MSFT PPT.
- Some experience building cohort-based business forecasts and analysis for revenue or marketing projections.
- Experience with statistical analysis (e.g., SAS, R, SPSS).
- Experience with BI/data visualization tools such as Mode, Tableau, Looker.
Characteristics and Behaviors
- Must have a growth mindset and grit; constant focus on self-improvement, learns from failures, not easily deterred, self-reflective.
- Strong analytical, structured thinking, and problem-solving skills with ability to simplify the complex; ability to communicate and storytell effectively to executives and front-line employees.
- Strong relationship-building skills with high empathy/EQ; must be humble and collaborative and not territorial.
- Intellectually curious, self-starter with a passion for digging into raw data to surface actionable insights in support of business growth and key company decisions. Must be willing to roll up your sleeves even if it means learning how to query your own data if necessary.
- Ability to prioritize time wisely in the face of myriad projects.
- Systems/Process-Oriented; ability to identify underlying systems or process breakdowns with a point of view how to fix them. Focus on minimizing our ‘time to insight’ and maximizing our ‘signal-to-noise’ ratio.
- Comfortable with ambiguity.
*Please make sure to mark CMB as "safe" as our emails tend to end up in Spam.