Software Engineer - Backend Platform
Toronto, Ontario /
* Note- this position is open to US and Canada only- any other locations will not taken into consideration.
Your mission is to help people fall in love!
Coffee Meets Bagel (CMB) is a dating app that’s getting to the heart of meaningful connections. And like in any good relationship, we want to cultivate empathy, teamwork, and a celebration of different perspectives. We’re not only seeking candidates who are just as excited about dating and relationships as we are, but who also have diverse backgrounds and skill sets. Sound like you? Keep reading!
Passion is great, but it’s really important that the idea of finding the best possible matches for our daters gets your heart beating faster. If you identify as a backend engineer, great! If you have a strong interest in productionizing ML models, even better! If you’d love to work on systems that provide billions of predictions a day based on real-time feature sets, wonderful! We’d love to have a conversation.
Our job can be deeply challenging, but it’s also immensely rewarding and tons of fun!☕️❤️
🍩About Coffee Meets Bagel
Coffee Meets Bagel's mission is to give everyone a chance at love. Instead of asking you to swipe through infinite profiles, our smart algorithm curates only your best matches and sends them to you once daily. Our "slow dating" approach emphasizes savoring each real connection—and even finding delight in the journey. Globally, CMB has sparked thousands of lasting relationships. We were named one of the "Top 10 Dating Apps" by Time Magazine, and "Best App If You're Trying to Marie Kondo Your Dating Life" by Women's Health.
- Work with our data team to help build a top-shelf system for exploring data and creating new models
- Maintain our match services, closely monitoring performance metrics to ensure they are always operating at their best.
- Productionize new ML models, and retire and replace those that are obsolete.
- Ensure that your work is thoroughly documented, well tested, and observable. And help team members to learn your code, understand its metrics, and extend it.
- Keep an eye on the efficiency and scalability of your code. We are looking to double our user base in the next year, so this will be of prime importance.
- You have 5+ years of work experience building and maintaining distributed services.
- You’ve worked on machine learning models and are familiar with the common libraries used to build them.
- You have a passion for service, and are a tireless advocate for a good user experience.
- You’re aware of the challenges of diversity and equitability in machine learning, and you want to help solve them.
- You have strong coding skills in Python, and a demonstrated ability to learn and work in other languages.
- You show considerable care for code quality, documentation, testing and accuracy of implementation.
- You design your code for scalability and performance.
- You can communicate complex technical concepts with ease both verbally and in writing.
- You absolutely love to work with other engineers and jump at the chance to help answer questions or solve a problem for someone else.
- You always take ownership of the tasks at hand and keep yourself accountable to get your work done
- You've been in a growth stage company that dealt with scaling challenges on different fronts.
- You have opinions on distributed systems, and understand why they’re hard.
- You understand what it means to engineer for reliability.
- You think about systems not just about the way they work but the way they can fail.
Technologies you'll work with
- Python especially Django, DRF and FastAPI
- Postgres, Redis, ElasticsearchKafka, RabbitMQ,
- AWS Infrastructure