Software Engineering Intern, Backend (Python)
SF or Seattle
Your mission is to help people fall in love!
Coffee Meets Bagel (CMB) is a dating app that’s getting to the heart of meaningful connections. And like in any good relationship, we want to cultivate empathy, teamwork, and a celebration of different perspectives. So we’re not only seeking candidates who are just as excited about dating and relationships as we are, but who also have diverse backgrounds. Sound like you? Keep reading!
Passion is principal, but it’s equally important that you’re excited to learn about backend technologies, what it means to be a team player, and more. And if solving challenging engineering problems at scale makes your heart flutter, we want you for CMB’s Summer Internship Program!
As an intern at CMB, you’ll work on impactful projects with supportive mentors, and you’ll contribute updates to our code that reach millions of users daily. It’s all part of working toward our company mission: to create real connections that inspire personal growth. That’s because we champion love, but we think that dating and relationships can be used by everyone as a lens for self-reflection, too.
Our job can be deeply challenging, but it’s also immensely rewarding and tons of fun!
Here are some of the ongoing projects our team is currently working on:
- Automatic content moderation. Help improve our event-driven system for recognition of faces in photos, suggestive imagery, or abusive language in profiles. Help influence business decisions and reduce manual workload by making moderation decisions on millions of photos!
- Automatic scammer detection. Help us find the bad actors on our dating site. You'll be using creativity and analytics to find new ways to attack this problem. Work with data scientists to implement scammer detection models that can quickly ban these bad actors from our platform.
- Performance, performance, performance! Every system has bottlenecks and ours is no different. When you’re dealing with big data, small changes can result in big improvements! Help work on data services, caching layers, database optimizations, async queues, and event pipelines.
- Microservices. We are decomposing large services into smaller pieces, so that the company can be more nimble.
- UI/UX/feature experiments. We test new features and design changes all the time, and we’re constantly looking for ways to make finding real connections easier and faster.
Some technologies you'll work with include:
- Python/Django/Flask, SQLAlchemy, Go, Elixir, Scala, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Docker, RabbitMQ, and AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, SQS, Kinesis, Step Functions, Lambda, Elasticcache, Redshift)
We have all the usual startup perks, including a fully stocked snack bar, catered lunches, flexible work hours/vacation policy, happy hours, and more! (And did we mention the workplace dogs?)
Check out this interesting blog post published by AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/database/powering-recommendation-models-using-amazon-elasticache-for-redis-at-coffee-meets-bagel/. It was written by our own engineers to get a closer look at what we've got going on under the hood! Or, maybe you want some deeper insight on the culture at CMB? Jump over to https://www.keyvalues.com/coffee-meets-bagel to see what our engineering team is all about. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.