Software Engineering (backend or iOS) Internship [Summer 2020]
San Francisco OR Seattle
Coffee Meets Bagel (CMB) is a dating app that’s getting to the heart of meaningful connections. And, like in any good relationship, we want to cultivate empathy, teamwork, and a celebration of different perspectives. We’re seeking candidates from diverse backgrounds that are just as excited about dating and relationships as we are. Sound like you? Keep reading!
Passion is principal, but it’s equally important that you’re excited to learn about backend or client technologies and what it means to be a team player. And if solving challenging engineering problems at scale makes your heart flutter, we want you for CMB’s Summer Internship Program!
About the Internship
As an intern at CMB, you’ll work on impactful projects with supportive mentors and contribute updates to our code that reach millions of users daily. It’s all part of working toward our company mission: to create real connections that inspire personal growth. That’s because we champion love, but we think that dating and relationships can be used by everyone as a lens for self-reflection, too.
CMB is currently seeking interns to work as backend or iOS engineers. You’ll have opportunities to work on exciting projects, ship code to our 10M+ user base and work in a fast-paced start-up environment. You will be supported through continuous mentorship with a full-time engineer, with regular 1-on-1s to provide regular feedback to ensure a positive internship experience.
Our job can be deeply challenging, but it’s also immensely rewarding and tons of fun! Even if you don't check off all the boxes, we encourage you to apply. CMB recognizes that talent comes from a variety of backgrounds and we would love to hear how you can make an impact here.
This paid internship will take place over 8-10 weeks and is located onsite in our SF (backend/iOS) or Seattle (backend) offices. We do not provide visa or relocation support at this time.
What You'll Bring!
- For a backend internship, experience in Python. Experience in Django and SQL would be a plus but is not required
- For an iOS internship, experience in technologies such as Swift, Objective-C, or other object-oriented languages
- Experience working in a team-based environment
- Currently pursuing a degree or bootcamp instruction in software engineering or a related technical field
- Automatic content moderation. This helped improve our event-drives system for automated recognition of faces in photos, suggestive imagery, and abusive language in profiles. It also influenced business decisions and reduced manual workload by making automated moderation decisions in millions of photos! You can read more about this here: https://www.fastcompany.com/90403658/amazons-ai-is-helping-companies-battle-sleazy-user-generated-contentAutomatic
- Scammer detection. This helped us find bad actors on our dating site. This project required analytics and a good dose of creativity to find new ways to tackle the problem. In collaboration with our data scientists, new scammer detection models were implemented to greatly reduce the amount of time it took to ban bad actors from our site.
- UI/UX and feature experiments. We’re constantly developing new features and designs, and our past interns have planned, implemented and tested both.
Here are some examples of past intern projects:
Please indicate in your application if you are interested in backend or iOS. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org