R&D Intern: Cell Biology
Boulder, Colorado /
Research – Pharmacology & Toxicology /
Who We Are
Cogent Biosciences is a publicly traded biotechnology company developing real solutions to treat genetically driven diseases. With a focus on rational drug discovery and development, we are leveraging validated biology to advance precision therapies designed to address the true underlying drivers of disease and provide real hope for patients. Cogent’s lead therapeutic candidate, bezuclastinib (CGT9486), is a precision kinase inhibitor designed to selectively and potently inhibit the KIT D816V mutation. This mutation is responsible for driving a rare and serious condition called Systemic Mastocytosis (SM), which can severely impact many different tissues and organs in the body. We are also studying CGT9486 to treat advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), which have a strong dependence on oncogenic KIT signaling. We are currently enrolling two Phase 2 clinical trials for patients with SM and a global Phase 3 trial for GIST patients.
As a Cogent Biosciences intern you will have the opportunity to work on high-impact research and development programs focused on bringing cancer therapeutics forward. You will work with experienced individuals on our R&D team, and gain exposure to the drug development process and each cross-functional team that contributes to it. Within the cell biology team, you will see how we design cell assays to inform our programs, as well as R&D activities to gain further understanding on future drug targets. As an intern you will work closely with your mentor(s) on a research project designed to contribute to one of our on-going oncology programs.
- Support research activities with various activities that may include (but not limited to) cell culture, cell line generation (site-directed mutagenesis, cloning, transfection, single cell cloning), and end point assays (ELISA, HTRF, qPCR, Western Blotting, etc.).
- Together with the team mentor, execute well-designed and controlled experiments, learn software tools to analyze and interpret data, and present your findings to the team.
- Attend program team meetings with cross-functional groups, stay active on program happenings, and actively stay up to date on scientific literature related to your project.
- Keep an electronic lab notebook, and stay up to date on scientific entries.
- Student must be enrolled in an undergraduate program in Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or life science related field.
- Some familiarity with research experience involving pipetting and cell culture.
- The motivation to learn drug discovery, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Be able to come on-site in Boulder 3+ days per week.
- The application/interview process for summer internships opens in February and extends through mid April.
- Interns may work between May - August 2023 (but flexible).
- Hourly Pay: $17-22/hr.
- Target Bonus: N/A
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Waltham, MA: Our Boston office includes an open office layout that has recently undergone a makeover designed for collaboration and giving our employees the best work place possible. Free access is provided for both on-site parking and gym facilities in the building.
Boulder, CO: We have just moved into our new state-of-the art Research Facility in the fast-growing biopharmaceutical hub in the greater Denver/Boulder corridor. Our CEO is based full-time in this location and we are proud to call this the home of Cogent’s discovery research organization.
Our Offer To You
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to have a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
In an effort to protect our employees and extended communities from COVID-19, Cogent requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they receive an approved reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons.