Backend Software Engineer – cloud AI services
Product – Engineering /
The rapid advances of Artificial intelligence (AI), especially around Generative AI, and in particular LLMs like OpenAI GPT family of models, have driven innovations starting to disrupt existing market spaces across industry. Many businesses are betting on AI as the next growth opportunity.
You are excited about launching new products and features into production, who can work autonomously and aren’t afraid to try new technologies, and who don’t back down from the challenges of scale. Our ideal candidate has experience building core services and web-based APIs from the ground up, cares just as much about the product itself as the technology that powers it, and is capable of both structuring and writing clean, maintainable code. You will have a chance to work with a team of talented AI researchers and engineers to optimize and deploy the state-of-the-art Large Language Models to our flagship Generative AI products. Our ideal candidate is a dependable backend engineer who also has at least some experience working with and around machine learning systems.
This position offers a unique chance to work on state-of-the-art language models and contribute to transformative research with the vision of saving lives with Industrial Data. You will be part of a dynamic team of researchers and engineers who are passionate about pushing the boundaries of machine learning and natural language understanding in the Industrial domain. Join us and make a significant impact on the future of Industrial DataOps.
What You'll Do
- You will help build applications that interact with state-of-the-art Large Language Models (LLMs) that deliver cutting-edge and time-saving solutions to Industrial Clients all over the world.
- Orchestrate LLM-driven experiences that delight our customers
- Design and implement highly scalable backend services powering Cognite’s Gen AI products
- Deploy LLMs to production in a cost efficient way and own their life cycles
- Own and improve the reliability and latency of AI services in cloud environments
- Work closely with Product Management & TPMs to translate product requirements into software architectures
- Provide technical leadership to implement best practices for software development
Who You Are
- A BS/MS degree in a relevant technical discipline such as Computer Science, and Computer Engineering
- Experienced software engineer who can design large scale software systems, write high quality code and tests
- 3+ years of experience in building and deploying scalable cloud based backend services and APIs.
- Familiar with Kubernetes, Docker, and AWS, Azure or GCP
- Experience in optimizing and deploying large scale deep learning models (e.g. LLMs) in production
- Experience using large language models through code (such as model services from OpenAI, Anthropic, or Cohere; and/or open source models such as Llama).
- Experience with any stages in the ML development lifecycle (e.g. data labeling, data curation, data cleaning, model training, model evaluation, model serving, LLM prompting, etc)
- An excellent communicator with strong organizational, problem-solving, debugging and analytical skills
- Demonstrated technical leadership in a cross-functional distributed team environment
Why choose Cognite? 🏆 🚀
- Join us in making a real and lasting impact in one of the most exciting and fastest-growing new software companies in the world.
- We have repeatedly demonstrated that digital transformation, when anchored on strong DataOps, drives business value and sustainability for clients and allows front-line workers, as well as domain experts, to make better decisions every single day.
- Cognite Earns 2023 Microsoft Partner of the Year Award; Recognized as a Global Leader in Energy & Resources and Industrials & Manufacturing
- And just recently, Frost & Sullivan named Cognite a Technology Innovation Leader!
- Built In 2024 Best Places to Work in Austin, TX and Houston, TX
A snapshot of our many perks and benefits as a Cogniter
- Competitive Compensation including base plus bonus
- 401(k) with 4% employer matching
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages with premiums fully covered for employees and all dependents
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- 18 Company Holidays including the week between Christmas & New Years
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)
- Employee Referral Program
- Company Paid Friday Lunch via DoorDash + Fully Stocked Fridges in the offices
- Join a team of 70 different nationalities 🌐 with Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) in focus 🤝.
- A highly modern and fun working environment with sublime culture across the organization, follow us on Instagram @cognitedata 📷 to know more
- Opportunity to work with and learn from some of the best people on some of the most ambitious projects found anywhere, across industries
- Join our HUB 🗣️ to be part of the conversation directly with Cogniters and our partners.
- Paid mobile phone and WiFI
- A pet lover? Get the chance to meet Spot 🐶!
Cognite is a global industrial SaaS company that was established with one clear vision: to rapidly empower industrial companies with contextualized, trustworthy, and accessible data to help drive the full-scale digital transformation of asset-heavy industries around the world. Our core Industrial DataOps platform, Cognite Data Fusion™, enables industrial data and domain users to collaborate quickly and safely to develop, operationalize, and scale industrial AI solutions and applications to deliver both profitability and sustainability. Visit us at www.cognite.com and follow us on Twitter @CogniteData or LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cognitedata
Cognite is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment at work and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive the same level of consideration for employment; everyone we hire will receive the same level of consideration for training, compensation, and promotion.
We ask for gender as part of our application because we want to ensure equal assessment in the recruitment process. Your answer will help us reach this commitment! However, the question about gender is optional and your choice not to answer will not affect the assessment of your application in any way.