Business Operations – Legal /
Who are we?
Our mission is to scale intelligence to serve humanity. We’re training and deploying frontier models for developers and enterprises who are building AI systems to power magical experiences like semantic search, RAG, and agents. We believe that our work is instrumental to the widespread adoption of AI.
We obsess over what we build. Each one of us is responsible for contributing to increasing the capabilities of our models and the value they drive for our customers. We like to work hard and move fast to do what’s best for our customers.
Cohere is a team of researchers, engineers, designers, and more, who are passionate about their craft. Each person is the one of the best in the world at what they do. We believe that a diverse range of perspectives is a requirement for building great products.
Join us on our mission and shape the future!
Why this role?
The legal team at Cohere is dynamic, fast-paced and cross-functional, supporting all areas of the organization by providing timely, professional and actionable legal advice and support. The ideal candidate is analytical, collaborative, driven and has a passion for new and evolving challenges with scaling and managing a rapidly growing diverse and global organization.
As Employment Counsel, you will:
- Support Cohere’s global People Ops and Talent teams with all employment and talent matters, including onboarding and offboarding of employees and service providers.
- Draft, review and negotiate employment and contractor agreements, including compensation or separation packages.
- Work closely with Cohere’s internal stakeholders and external partners to support Cohere’s global practices and procedures, including issues pertaining to investigations or policy enforcement, business immigration, visa applications, remote work and employee transfers or transitions.
- With the Director of Legal, manage and support compensation practices and procedures, including managing all matters pertaining to equity compensation.
- Interact with Cohere’s internal and external legal advisors to inform and educate the organization on new and evolving legal issues.
- Review and update company policies to reflect changes in the law or business practices.
- Develop and maintain legal processes and procedures to support EDI initiatives, investigations, transparent HR practices and workplace initiatives.
You may be a good fit for this career opportunity if:
- You have a minimum of 3+ years in private practice or in-house at a fast-growing company, working on complex employment and equity compensation matters. Experience working in or for a venture-backed company will be considered a strong asset.
- You must have experience managing the administration of/issues related to corporate equity (stock option/RSU) programs.
- You have experience navigating complex employment and compensation issues.
- You have experience with fast scaling technology companies, start-ups, and global employment issues related thereto.
- You are excited to help build out Cohere’s employment functions and processes, collaborate with other parts of the organization and are comfortable with the fast-paced and evolving nature of technology companies.
- You are a strong communicator (both written and oral), collaborator, and team player.
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Weekly lunch stipend, in-office lunches & snacks
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.