Toronto, Palo Alto, San Francisco, London /
Tech – Platform (People Leadership) /
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learns to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We've raised our Series B, signed a multi-year partnership with Google Cloud, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
Data is foundational to our mission of building the future of language AI. You will have an unprecedented influence on the development of new Generative AI capabilities while scaling and mentoring a rapidly growing org of brilliant and motivated teammates. What you do, how well you do it, and how you can scale will have an immediate and lasting impact on making some of the best Large Language Models in the world get even better.
As Director, Data you will:
- Develop and own systems to acquire, maintain, and optimize data for model training and evaluation
- Work deeply with ML research, product and engineering teams to identify and acquire new data sources
- Direct a large internal workforce as well as multiple vendors to deliver accurate and diverse training data at a massive scale
- Align our teams around north-star metrics and nurture a culture of safety, quality and innovation
- Develop a strong vision, and communicate strategy and execution plans to our C-Suite and the company
- You tell us! We need someone who has big ideas, and isn't afraid to rock the boat
You may be a good fit, if you have:
- 12+ years of experience in an engineering or machine learning research role including 5+ years in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated strong background in NLP, large language models, generative AI, or MLOps, with a deep understanding of data pipelines, and experience building and operating data pipelines at scale
- Great communication and interpersonal skills working across different functions, teams, personalities, and working styles, including modeling teams and external clients
- Experience building, growing, and empowering organizations of 100+ that can deliver fast and well
- A scrappy, startup mentality to move fast, iterate quickly, learn on the go, and take initiative
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation